Wiring question (speaker in parallel)

• Members

Hi-

I (potentially) have the following equip:

2 Yorkville NX20 (350 @ 8ohms)

1 QSC rmx2450

2 8 ohm monitors

Can I use the QSC to power the 2 Yorkvilles in parallel? ie, from output 1 of the QSC to input 1 of a Yorkville, and then from input 2 of the Yorkville to input 1 of the other Yorkville?

i would like to use the other side of the QSC for the monitors until I can afford another power amp.

Any suggestions besides this?

Thanks for your help!

• Members

Originally posted by charlieg6

Hi-

I (potentially) have the following equip:

2 Yorkville NX20 (350 @ 8ohms)

1 QSC rmx2450

2 8 ohm monitors

Can I use the QSC to power the 2 Yorkvilles in parallel? ie, from output 1 of the QSC to input 1 of a Yorkville, and then from input 2 of the Yorkville to input 1 of the other Yorkville?

i would like to use the other side of the QSC for the monitors until I can afford another power amp.

Any suggestions besides this?

Thanks for your help!

Should be fine. Be sure the clip limiters and high pass filters are switched on (dip switches on back of QSC.

• Members

Originally posted by RickJ

The Yorkies will be a bit underpowered, but it will work fine. Just make sure you don't clip that amp.

They are rated for 350 watts and they'll be getting 375 watts. How are they underpowered?

• Members

I find that in the hands of both non-pros and careless (or plain stupid pros), about 1.25 - 1.5 x RMS power is about right.

It depends on how honest the speaker manufacturer is when rating the speakers also.

BUT I would rather see erring somewhat lower AND engaging the clip limiters as thermal failure is not very common but mechanical failure is. Use the damn limiters, that's what we as manufacturers provide them for.

If you really need more sub level, and you are pounding hard against the limiters (or stupidly clippimng the snot out of the amps) then adding a couple of dB of headroom will be insignificant... you need more sub period (or turn the whole mess down a bit!).

I firmly believe that powering any single sub with more than about 600 watts RMS is entering the high failure part of any driver's reliability curve. Very few drivers currently being manufacturered will hold up well under non-professional use at this power level, though properly processed, and lacking "mistakes", premium drivers can safely be powered around 1000WRMS per driver.

Mark, your client would have had problems no matter what power level he was operating at... you can't protect everyone from their own worst enemies... themselves. These are the customers that I choose not to do business with, as I just don't want the hassle and anger of that kind of situation directed back at me.

• Members

Audiopile wrote:

If a customer has a problem and fesses up that it's their fault, I'll bend over backward to get them fixed up at the lowest possible cost.

That is also the way I live my professional life. Sometimes, we'll lose money, but we'll keep a customer.

Yardbirds: "Cars and girls are easy come by, in this day and age ..."

I sing the same melody to different lyrics: "Cus-to-mers are hard to come by ..."

• Members
Yorkville specs their speakers AT THE PROGRAM RATING. So 375 per box is actually pretty darn strong for those. That said, the 350 PROGRAM rating on the NX20 is fairly conservative as Yorkville has a 2 year "no fault" warranty.

• Members

The RMX2450 is rated at 750 peak watts, right? So that amp would have to be driven to the max just to satisfy the Yorkies' hunger for an average program signal.

But ... look what happens when you bridge it into a 4-ohm load: 2400 watts peak = 1200 watts program (guesstimate). Feeding two 350-watt program-rated cabs = 700 watts = 1.7:1 ratio.

If you drive them too hard in stereo mode, the amp will run very hot. If you drive them too hard in bridged mono mode, you will blow the drivers.

Point is, don't drive them too hard. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by RickJ

The RMX2450 is rated at 750 peak watts, right? So that amp would have to be driven to the max just to satisfy the Yorkies' hunger for an average program signal.

But ... look what happens when you bridge it into a 4-ohm load: 2400 watts peak = 1200 watts program (guesstimate). Feeding two 350-watt
program-rated
cabs = 700 watts = 1.7:1 ratio.

If you drive them too hard in stereo mode, the amp will run very hot. If you drive them too hard in bridged mono mode, you will blow the drivers.

Point is, don't drive them too hard.
;)

1. 350 program is (depending on the manufacturer's safety factor) closer to 200 watts RMS, therefore 2x RMS = about 400 watts which the QSC can provide.

2. The amp will run far hotter in bridged mode at 4 ohms. In fact, this is the worst case for the amp.

3. The RMX-2450 delivers 2450 watts RMS into a 4 ohm bridged load... this will definately be a problem for those speakers with any accident. It will blow those things to hell and there will be a return ticket attached too.

4. Running stereo into 8 ohms is the lightest load for the amp, 4 ohms on one channel is also a light load for the at amp.

5. Yes, avoid driving anything too hard and reliability will improve.

• Members

If you want reliability, headroom and power match those up with a QSC RMX 1850HD

600W at 4 ohms off one channel so 300W per speaker. That's just about perfect. Just get efficient monitor speakers. I'd actually recommend another pair of NX20's. Why?

- they are shaped to be used as monitors or mains

- low weight

- high efficiency

- If you grow into a bigger rig you can use 2 per side as mains or put them all on stage as matching monitors

-Sure they are a bit more than the run of the mill Yamaha Club series BUT you get a lot better warranty, construction, components, speakons, better efficiency. That's worth $120 a pair more in the long run.

Archived