Connecting panel-mount XLR jacks in parallel...?

• Members

Because my preamp (SansAmp RBI for bass) doesn't have a ground lift, I've been toying with different ideas on how to solve the ground hum problem at specific places we play. Instead of carrying two cables -- one lifted and one not -- I'd like to implement something into the interface panel on the back of the rack. Specifically, I'd like to have two male XLR panel-mount jacks on there -- one with the ground connected, the other with it disconnected. If I get to the show and plug into the normal one and get the ground noise, I can simply plug into the other.

This is no problem, but the part I need to know about is this -- I've only got one XLR out on my preamp. What would I need to do to split that output to two different jacks? I mean, I'll be cutting the end off a 1' XLR cable and using that as the pigtail from the preamp to the interface panel in the back... but if I just put a lead off each wire to the other jack, am I going to lose some signal strength?

• Members

why not just put a switch on the ground?

That ought to do the same thing, remove the possibility of pluggining into the wrong jack, and make A/Bing the ground lift easier.

If you want to do the two jack solution, you could just wire one jack like normal, wire the other jack to the non-ground pins; there shouldn't be any signal loss unless you plug into both jacks.

john reeve

• Members

Originally posted by ashivraj

- a short jumper, with pin 1 disconnected at one end (audiopile)

...because I'll lose the jumper cable,

- a barrel adapter, pin 1 lifted (agedhorse)

...because I'll lose the barrel adapter,

- earplugs to pretend the buzz doesnt exist

...and because I'll lose the earplugs!! :)

This way I've got nothing to bring except my XLR cable, which I always have in the rack in case I'm further from the snake than the soundguy expects. I'm probably gonna start to not even worry about bringing that, because I can't remember the last time I needed an XLR cable and the soundguy didn't have one.

Of course, that'll happen the day I don't bring it.

• Members

I doubt that. For playing bass, you'd be hard pressed to find a better DI than the SansAmp... it's a shame they didn't put a ground lift on their rack unit version. I'll never understand that one. Maybe they forgot it, who knows. I emailed them about it and they said to bring a cable with the ground pin cut. When you spend $300 on the rack unit instead of $150 for the pedal, it should have MORE features, not LESS! :(

Anyway...

Archived