1x15 vs. 2x12

• Members

what are you pushing thru the speaker? when you say 'small PA', i take it this would be more of vocals, aco. gtr, mebbe some keys... as compared to, say, drums, bass, gtr, everything.

in that case, a 212 would sound tighter, and consequently, IMHO, better. of course, im assuming it's of decent quality, none of that gemini junk.

however, if you're planning to run bass and kick thru it, you'd be better off with a 115. and i dont see you getting too loud with that, especially if that's your only cab.

so, what style of music, and what are you running into the board? what particular brands (if any) are you looking at?

AS

• Members
Originally posted by societystease

Well, for mains in a small pa system (tired of lugging my huge system to small venues with no need) I am looking at these two types of boxes. Which do you think would be best as all around speakers? Thanks

Neither one is very good for high energy rock/pop music on their own without subs. NTL,I like 2x12" cabs far better.

• Members
Originally posted by SoundtechSD

tlbonehead, I know you posted a link to Turbosound or something a while back; they had a 2x12 mains cab. What other companies do you know of make 2x12 mains?

Here's a great value in a good budget 2x12" cab.http://sonicspeaker.com/t212fr.htm You can buy them for under $400. They are also available with upgrade woofers,as well as a true 2" horn driver. JBL makes a great 2x12" cab for about 3x the cost. There really aren't enough models of 2x12" cabs in the lower cost area,IMO. That's probably why I get calls to build them from a fair number of people. Once you get into the mid to higher tier stuff,they are more popular. Madison makes a decent 2x12" cab. They really aren't as bad as people think,especially for the price. I'm sure I'll get flamed for mentioning them.:cool: Actually,I am using four Madison 2x12" mid/high cabs quite a bit. I got them dirt cheap,they had the heavier woofers in them,and I had a bunch of Eminence cast frame 12"s to load into them,as well as a few 12" monitor cabs with blown woofers in them that I wanted to sell. I put the stock woofers in the monitors to make them sellable and added the Eminence woofers and Selenium drivers/horns to the Madison cabs. They actually sound quite good and I weeded out a lot of my sitting around stuff. I'm running two cabs per side with a PLX3002.

• Members

EV QRx 212 - They are a bit pricey (MAP is $1500), but they do sound good.

As for Madison, I'll let a picture from their website do all the flaming :p

I think she needs some CHEESE to go with that wine, oh wait - the wine is sitting on top of the cheese. eleganceandedge.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by abzurd

EV QRx 212 - They are a bit pricey (MAP is $1500), but they do sound good.

As for Madison, I'll let a picture from their website do all the flaming
:p

I think she needs some CHEESE to go with that wine, oh wait - the wine is sitting on top of the cheese.
eleganceandedge.jpg

I'll be the first to admit that their advertising is juvenile and very annoying.

• Members
Originally posted by tony k

I agree to disagree with you on the Madison cabs Terry
:p
I don't own my Madi cabs anymore but they still leave me feeling dirty and violated
:D

Mine are fine. I got all four of them new for about $100 each and I was able to turn the stock components into some cash. They are plywood and they are tight and the perfect dimensions for me. And they sound very nice with the other drivers in them.

• Members

From what I've been reading about other peoples experiences with their cabs, including yours, their material quality has improved. I just couldn't believe the quality of the "plywood" when I went to install new corners and feet that had ripped out. Had to be the cheapest grade on the market. Sounds like your cabs turned out well though.

• Members

I think Madison makes differing degrees of cabs. Tlbonehead must have their 'high end' cabs that are actually built like decent MI gear. Some of their lower 'Madi' stuff is nothing but particle board junk with inefficient generic woofers and piezo horns.

Archived