vocal a/b/y box

• Members

Do they exist ? Any recommendations ?

We've been using a normal boss a/b/y box for our vocalist thats really for guitar, and all the soundmen we've worked with have gotten uppity (understandably so ...) about having to work with unbalanced signals ...

would appreciate your opinions ...

cheers

thom

• Members

You should be concerned too. When working with an unbalanced signal, and without a balancing transformer used to convert to balanced signal, when you connect your source to a console that has phantom power switched on, 48 volts DC will be placed across the diaphram of any non-transformer coupled dynamic mic. Even though there are current limiting resistors within the console, it's not good for the mic, and may damage it beyond repair.

Besides, it's an invitation to noise and RFI.

• Members

ok maybe i wasnt clear about what we want to do :

the vocalist uses a small amp as an effect on the voice. When we rehearse what we do is run his mike into the a/b/y box then take one output into the PA direct and the other into the amp which is then miked and run through the PA too. It works fine on our small system but we cant seem to do it when we play larger venues.

I take it there isnt an a/b/y box that works with xlr in/outs ?

• Members

Hmmm....

I am wanting to do something like this too....

I am a drummer and wearing a head set mic for back up vocals...

I want a way to control my own mic on stage, so that I can talk to the band between songs without my voice going out to the FOH.

A momentary foot switch would be perfect, so when I stepped on it, my vox would go to the "monitors only" send (and I could talk to the band "OK song starts on one are we ready OK here we go one two three blah blah..) and then when I took my foot up off of it, my vox returns to the Fronts as well...

This way the band (who are all wearing iems could hear me without the audiance having to be bothered by on stage business.

Probably this is going to require the use of two channels on the mixer.

Anyone know of a good device like this?

Using faders like you suggest agedhorse, would work of course, if the sound tech wasn't busy with other stuff to pay attention to...

• Members

EdisDead in Malta,

I am not aware of an A/B/Y box with XLR's.

Do you use the guitar-amp-vox in conjunction with the straight feed (A+B), or is it just one or the other (A or B)?

Eitherway, try this: Run the mic straight into the board (XLR). Take the direct out from that channel and run the signal into the guitar amp (1/4"). Mic the amp and run the "EFX VOX" into a next channel of the board. Now the soundman selects which channel to use (or both.)

But I suspect that your singer is the one who makes that decision. So, Pro Co makes an inexpensive footswitch called The Cough Drop. It's a silent operating muting switch and it's XLR in and out. It is a momentary switch (you have to leave your foot on it) but probably a tech could install a latching footswitch instead. (Hope it stays silent.) Plug both of your mics into a couple of these on their way to the board and your singer can do a tap dance to achieve his desired effect.

Kenny in Caribe

Archived