TC Triple C vs. DBX 1066

• Members

I'm looking to add a compressor to a small rack I'm putting together and have heard good things about the TC Triple C? I currently have DBX and Presonus compressors but would like to try something different. The compressor would be used mainly for vocals. I have couple TC pieces (M-One / DTWO) that I am very pleased with and I'm consindering giving a shot at the Triple C.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated...

• Members

I've got a Triple C Stereo, a Presonus ACP88 and dbx 166A's. I don't have the 1066...

IMO, the Triple C is exceptionally easy to use. I've got it set up in my main insert chain as an overall limiter/compressor which helps get more punch out of the system. The three band compression is quite tailorable to your specific tastes. It's quite consistent. I've not had any issues with it so far.

I think if it were stolen, I wouldn't replace it. I'm leaning towards the dbx driverack 260, which would replace a dual 31 band eq, the Triple C Stereo, and a BBE 482. I really need more rack space. However, for it's current use, I'm quite pleased.

Rick

• Members

Rick,

I plan to use the triple C for vocals. On the picture, it shows one set of controls (threshold / attack / gain / etc.). Is there a button you push to access the other channel and make on-the-fly ajustments or is this part of it complicated and time consuming?

A quick comment on Drive Racks... Unless your very good with your ISO frequencies and have plenty of time to set up and ring-out your rig, consider using a separate analog or Digital EQ (w/ analog fader / sliders) that will allow you to make quick EQ ajustments. I had a DriveRack PA for several months and got rid of it for this particular reason. I never got accustomed to the digital interface vs. the analog. Whenever I had feedback during a show, I ended fumbling to find the EQ program and moving knobs in different directions. I found it very difficult to do a trial / error EQ ajustment on the fly with the digital interface. The AFS (feedback suppression) function does work well (IMHO, better than the Sabine) but not all the time. I'm currently using the Sabine units and still find myself reaching for the EQ slider on occasions.

Thanks for your input on the Triple C...

Mike

• Members

I just received my Presonus ACP88, but have not had a chance to use it in live situations yet (this weekend though...). I've had 1066's for a few years, so I'm familiar with them.

Comparing the TC to the 1066 isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison. The 1066 has your average compression controls of any two-channel unit out there (gate, compression, limiter)- and does it quite well with nice metering.

The Triple-C is capable of multi-band or full-range compression, lots of software presets, generally lots more processing power capabilities. And isn't this a single-channel unit?

Fairly large price difference as well.

• Members

I've got a Triple-C, but it's in my bass rig. If it means anything to you, I thoroughly enjoy it. Anything with a menu interface is better than a set of knobs when it's not something you'll be changing on-the-fly. For example, I wouldn't want to scroll menus to adjust my EQ all night, but how often do you change compressor settings? I know in the middle of the set I often don't have the sudden urge to change my attack time.

But if I did, I also know I'd just set that up as another preset. :)

You don't really have to do any menu scrolling, really... the main purpose of that display is to tell you the current knob's reading. A few of the knobs can be rotated infinitely, and so you need to know its current level. The others can be saved as a preset, so if you change presets, the knob's current position doesn't correspond to its actual value. The display allows you to view those settings since you can't always rely on the knobs.

My *only* complaint is that the input gain isn't able to be saved as a preset. One would think this is a weird request, but every time I turn around our singer has bumped into my damn rack, and I can just push the Recall button to get all my settings back if he does something dumb. But if that input gain knob is turned it takes me an hour to get it absolutely perfect again. :)

Archived