Behringer PMX2000 Pro

• Members

I own one. 10 channels, actually :) It's the first mixer I have ever bought/used and so far I'm happy with it. It is not actually 500W, it's 250W each on 2 powered outputs.

My band uses this currently with 2 12" wedge monitors in our jamroom for vocals. I run the thing at maybe half volume and it can get over drums, 2 guitar amps, and a bass cabinet. The built in effects are pretty nice, but you can only use 1 effect at a time -- a little reverb on the vocal mics is nice.

The 10th channel is really nice. It has RCA inputs and outputs. We run our laptop output to the RCA input on channel 10 and use it to play back recordings, mp3s, cds, a click-track or drumloop... whatever.

It's been discussed that the mixer will be good for very small shows, but nothing more than that. I personally have not tried it out with any mains yet. You can always run the mains section to another power amp later on.

All in all, I think it's a good buy. If you're planning on playing for big crowds with it... don't :p It's good for rehersals or as a monitor mixer. It's definitely worth the money.

• Members

Hmmm... maybe we need something a bit bigger... Although I suppose it depends what you mean by big crows. Is 100 people still a small crowd? If so, this might be ok because most venues that fit more than 100 people tend to have a PA....

Well, lets put it this way: We never mic the drums at our shows, and if this thing can get louder than the drums, than it should be loud enough right?

How is the sound quality? Do you think it would make a difference hooking the mains up instead of monitors? Are these powered monitors that you're using?

• Members

Originally posted by SmattyG

Well, lets put it this way: We never mic the drums at our shows, and if this thing can get louder than the drums, than it should be loud enough right?

How is the sound quality? Do you think it would make a difference hooking the mains up instead of monitors? Are these powered monitors that you're using?

I can't really comment on the quality, I'm very new to the whole PA thing :) The monitors I'm using are passive, and are underpowered by this mixer. If you are thinking of getting active monitors and/or mains, the mixer might be a good idea to save you some money.

The PMX2000 has a passive "monitor" output as well as stereo passive outputs. So, let's say you have 2 monitor wedges and 2 mains, all powered. You could use the mixer to run all your mics into, and then connect the passive "monitor" output to the first powered monitor, chaning it to the 2nd powered monitor, and so forth. Then, you can use the mono "preamp output" to go to the first powered main, and chain that main to the second powered main.

If you add in subwoofers to the mix, I assume you would put the passive output for the mains to a crossover, which then handles the rest.

• Members

Originally posted by KipH

My band uses this currently with 2 12" wedge monitors in our jamroom for vocals. I run the thing at maybe half volume and it can get over drums, 2 guitar amps, and a bass cabinet. The built in effects are pretty nice, but you can only use 1 effect at a time -- a little reverb on the vocal mics is nice.

If you're using only one 8 ohm speaker on each output you're only getting 125 watts to each speaker. I'd be real carefull not to clip you amp and fry your monitors.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by KipH

No, it's 250W and 4 ohm to each monitor. The bridge is 500W/8ohm.

If the amps are spec'd 500w into 8-ohms bridged, then it's likely that they run 250w each, into 4 ohms. If your monitors are 8-ohm cabinets, and hooked individually to a channel, they are each presenting an 8-ohm load to each amp, and they'll get 125w.

If you daisy chain the two monitors, you'll still get only 125w per cab.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

If the amps are spec'd 500w into 8-ohms bridged, then it's likely that they run 250w each, into 4 ohms. If your monitors are 8-ohm cabinets, and hooked individually to a channel, they are each presenting an 8-ohm load to each amp, and they'll get 125w.

If you daisy chain the two monitors, you'll still get only 125w per cab.

Exactly where I was going with that. :D

• Members

I bought a PMX-2000 on July 3, and it's been a great investment.

We use it for a vocal only P.A., powering two pairs of JBL monitors. We're a blues band (drums, bass, guitar, keys, four vocals), and it more than keeps up with the instruments.

The digital effects are quite good too - reverb setting #5 has become our defacto effect, although we use the slapback echo too when the song calls for it.

It gets used at least 5 times a week for rehearsals and gigs. The smallest gig we've done was for around 20 people; the biggest so far had a door count of 119 people. In all cases, it's been plenty loud enough, plenty clean enough, and we've had no problems with it whatsoever.

The PMX-2000 with two Speakon - 1/4" 25' speaker cables cost me $324 (guitar center gave me a 10% discount because I'm an ASCAP member). ;)

Archived