Mackie 808M power

• Members

What do you consider the actual power of this mixer?

Max power at 1%THD

450 watts per channel at 4ohms

300 watts per channel at 8ohms

Continuous Sine Wave Avg Output

340 watts per channel at 4ohms

240 watts per channel at 8ohms

Would you be able to meet the 1.5 amp to speaker ratio running 200 watt RMS speakers at 8 ohms or not?

• CMS Author

Folks with good ears can hear 1%THD. The rest of us just know something doesn't sound so good.

So yes, you can attain the headroom if you don't mind mildly {censored}ty sound. Otherwise, use the continuous sine wave avg as a useful spec. Either way don't push the amp to the point of audible distortion....it's a good bet that clipping has started befoer this point.

I'm sure some of the guys here may have tested this mixer for its actual output to determine if this spec is accurate.

• Members

Originally posted by tkachuk07

What do you consider the actual power of this mixer?

Max power at 1%THD

450 watts per channel at 4ohms

300 watts per channel at 8ohms

Continuous Sine Wave Avg Output

340 watts per channel at 4ohms

240 watts per channel at 8ohms

Would you be able to meet the 1.5 amp to speaker ratio running 200 watt RMS speakers at 8 ohms or not?

If you turn it up to the maximum continuous output power without audible distortion you will be at 1.2x RMX. If you push it to the point the distortion becomes audible it will be at 1.5x RMS.

• Members

I've got the 808S, and I run 2 15" cabs off the main channel and 2 12" monitors off the monitor channel. I've never had to go over unity gain (50%)on the main gain control even at outdoor gigs. I assume that's the 4 ohm rating of 350 watts or so.

We have never had any distiortion or any bad sounds.

Texas Jim

Archived