Help me decide: 12s or 15s for mains?

• Members

I have a Yamaha EMX68s powered mixer that I love. I also have a Behringer B300 powered monitor. Next I want to buy ONE main PA speaker cab. Note: I can only afford one at a time.

Should I run out in bridged mode or just run out one of the outputs to the cab?

Right now I am just running vocals out my PA and sometimes bass. However, I might want to run drums and bass out the cabs in the future. I can't decide whether to buy a 15" cab now even though I won't really take advantage of it for awhile. Thus, I'll have to lug a heavier weighted item around to gigs/practices PLUS I have a small car and it will take up a lot of space! However, if I buy the 12" now then maybe I will regret it down the road when I want drums and bass in there and I'll have to spend the extra money, extra weight and space on a subwoofer.

It's a conundrum! 12" vs 15"? Also... some of the 12" cabs can be angled as monitors sometimes.

What do you recommend. BTW, I am currently in an acoustic duo (2 guitars & 2 vocals) that plays coffeeshops --- plus a four piece rock/funk/blues band that plays bars (not currently using my PA though).

Thanks!

• Members

If you plan on putting bass, kick, or anything low-frequency withOUT subs, go for a 15" bass driver over a 12. 12s will give a tihgter sound for, say, vocals and electric guitar but anything bassy going out, and you'd be better with 15" for full-range. If you had subs, I'd say go for 12" but without subs, 15". I believe I've seen 15"ers that can be tilted back, but can't remember which makes off the top of my head.

What's your budget? Yorkville makes a nice MI cab; JBL Mpro, also.

• Members

I'd go for the smallest QUALITY 12" that you can afford. It will always be perfect for your acoustic gigs and you won't be carrying extra size and weight that you don't need. IF and WHEN you need a band PA for kick and bass, then you can add a 15" or 18" sub. You'll get WAY better kick and bass performance from this setup than you'd ever get from a 15"/ 1" full range cab. I personally use a 12"/1" mid/high cab over an 18" and the vocals seem clearer and crisper with a 12" compared to a 15".

• Members

Originally posted by Kennykeys

I'd go for the smallest QUALITY 12" that you can afford. It will always be perfect for your acoustic gigs and you won't be carrying extra size and weight that you don't need. IF and WHEN you need a band PA for kick and bass, then you can add a 15" or 18" sub. You'll get WAY better kick and bass performance from this setup than you'd ever get from a 15"/ 1" full range cab. I personally use a 12"/1" mid/high cab over an 18" and the vocals seem clearer and crisper with a 12" compared to a 15".

what he said..... :)

Archived