Building Speaker Cabinets - Is it Worth it???

• Members

First and foremost, let me say that I'm not an idiot. With time and effort I am perfectly capable of making quality pieces of furniture. I know speakers aren't furniture, but do "professional" speaker cabinets have some kind of treatment in their production that just wouldn't be realistic for someone who has never built one?

I stumbled upon this software, and I was wondering if anyone with experience in building speaker cabinets would consider it something useful.

Sure, they wouldn't really have any resale value, but with the proper investment could some top-of-the-line-sounding speakers be within reach for a poor guy like me?

• Members

When it comes right down to it, you'd be better off buying brand name speakers. By the time you figure in the costs for the materials and components, you're not that much ahead of a pre-made cabinet. In the end the lack of resale value, warranty, and the amount of physical labor you have to put into it isn't worth it.

If you like being a do-it-yourselfer, it might make a fun project. After all, there's nothing quite like a job well done. If you're just out to save money by building yourself, it's probably not worth it.

• Members

i've built a few speaker boxes over the years with some excelent results. raw drivers come with waranty so thats not and issue. as far as being a money saver, thats a yes and no with lots of variables. the most recent box i built houses four 18" jbl's and is large enough to get down to 20 hz. i gotta run for now, if you have any ?'s just holla i'll try and help.

• Members

zeromus-x,

i knew somebody would bite on the 20hz, i don't honestly now if it is 0db or -3, -6, etc.. the drivers are jbl 2045, i emailed the enginers at jbl and ask them how big of box to build and how to port it.

i use it as the subs on my 5.1 surround, the other speakers are dual 15 jbl's with 1 inch horns.

• Members

That's a 2245, and 4 in a box tuned to 20Hz (-3dB) would be a VERY large box indeed.

That driver had a major flaw, shared by many extended LF drivers of the time. The foam surround used was not very stable when exposed to the common pollutants in the air and the foam would decompose, causing failure.

The newer foams are better, but for pro applications an M-roll cloth surround is the only real solution. The advantage of foam is longer x-max plus easier to get extended LF TS parameters at the expense of efficiency.

If it's a JBL recommended box and tuning, then it should sound really good, but it must be HUGE.

• Members

agedhorse,

you got the # right they're 2245h. i got them in 2000 i knew they where phasing them out but didn't know why. after reading your post i went and looked at the foam, still looking good. yes they do sound good, and the box is good sized not to mention very heavy.

• Members

I still haven't completely disbanded the idea of constructing speaker cabinets; I've kind of figured out the raw costs of building a cab: for example, the JBL SR4733X, lists for $1830, new.

2 X 2206H 12" drivers = $300 each

1 X 2381 Horn = $80

Hardware = $100?

Wood = $50?

Acoustic Treatment = $20

Tolex/Carpet = $50

Total Cost = $900 (:rolleyes: Jeeze)

Can I assume that it would cost about half of retail to copy an existing cab model? Also, how would one get a hold of cabinet blueprints? (with less expensive drivers than the SR4733X...wow:confused:)

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

Really?

I have this pricing at-hand for JBL components used in an 4733:

2 x 2226 15's: $385ea.

1 x 2381 hornflair: $260

1 x 2447 compression driver: $640

1 baddass crossover: $250 (minimum I would guess)

Total for just the electronics and transducers: $1,920 (msrp)

MSRP for a complete SR-4733X: $2,195 (2002)

so... that's $275 for the cabinet, hardware, grill, logos, engineering, warranty, bragging rights, and substancial resale value of a cabinet with a manufacture's logo and serial number.

Admittedly, you can cut some corners doing it yourself, but then you'll have a cabinet with cut corners... and unless you're fixing to be buried in it... someday you gotta figure out what to do with it when you no-longer desire to own it.

Hmm...compression driver & crossovers...well there you go!

• CMS Author

I did the same cost/benefit 'analysis' a few months ago, and came to the same conclusion....manufacturers have the advantage of economy of scale, and this is quite substantial. Even for a much less ambitious project (Single 18", simple box, no xover) it doesn't work out well. And for me the box-building's a breeze, as I have a very well equipped wood shop.

I'd highly recommend it if you 'fall into' some drivers and have no available empty boxes to drop them into. Otherwise, it's a strictly "cuz you wanna" project.

• Members

I've built lots of different cabs. Guitar/bass,simple vented PA,traps,horn-loaded,and even scoops and folded horns. If you don't enjoy doing that kind of stuff,you are probably wasting your time. I enjoy it a lot and that way,I end up with exactly what I'm looking for.

Archived