Help - Monitors sound muted.

• Members

We're using a Crown 400 for our monitors.

4 Peavey monitors - [1 x 12" & 1 x HiFreq horn in each monitor].

We have 3 of the monitors on the front line hooked into one side of the amp & 1 monitor at the back for the drummer hooked to the other side of the amp.

All of a sudden the sound in the monitors is REALLY muffled. It's like all the clarity went out of them.

How do I find out what the problem is?

Thanks!

• Members

- ANY kind of EQ on the monitors?

- are they biampable? with a full-range/biamp switch that got messed?

- does it sound the same in the house? is it just one channel (vocal) or is it the entire mix?

sorry im of no help here, just prompting questions whose answers would help others figure it out.

AS

• Members

Abhi - the house mix sounds great.

The monitors ARE BiAmpable - but that is through a separate Hi-Lo connection.

JKylez - I was afraid someone would ask this one:

"get some feedback and blow all the HF drivers or something?"

How would I verify this - or eliminate it?

It does sound like a LPF - except we don't have one available in the chain.

If it does turn out to be the HF drivers being blown - how do we prevent this in future? What could be the causes? There was no feedback or anything unusual like that that I am aware of - but I am not the only one with access to the system.

• Members
Originally posted by Robin Sengupta

Abhi -

The monitors ARE BiAmpable - but that is through a separate Hi-Lo connection.

aah, this is one thing i figured. i know there's a jbl series (forget which one, i work with it a lot) that let's you do either full range, or bi-amp, both 1/4" jacks. there's also a little knob-type thing that you twist with a screwdriver to switch between full-range and bi-amp. that might be it.

AS

• Members

Thanks audiopile [Mark].

I will follow your instructions above to determine if the HF horns are blown or what.

I also like your [telephone] suggestion to bypass the X-Over inside the monitors [if, indeed, the horns are blown] and only use the 12-inch speakers.

I played the first 15 years of my music career in India - we never had ANY monitors till much later - when we started doing real big shows & I know most of the "sound systems" we used never had HF Horns. I know that 12-inch speakers do quite well without HF horns. I just never thought of bypassing the crossovers in those monitors instead of replacing horns every time they blow.

We've had these horns blown before and it's getting old [assuming that's what's happened this time as well].

Last thing I need in addition to trying to do music & sound together is having to fix abused gear.

Thanks for all the help. I will post my findings here.

Ironic Side-Effect of blown HF Horns:

The sound from those monitors is so bad that we just didn't use them at all the last few times.

We've had comments from all sorts of people that the sound has been really good.

:)

I'm crediting that to the fact that there's no sound from the stage monitors & we're getting the full benefit of the FOH speakers - which are better quality.

Maybe I should pretend that there's no way we can afford to fix the problem!!

:D

• Members

audiopile:

I confirmed that all four of the monitors are producing absolutely NO sound from the horns when I put my 'good ear' [yes - it has come to that!!] to them.

The model of the monitors is "BW 8" ??? That's pretty much the only thing I could see that looked like a model number.

The large speakers in those monitors are 15" speakers.

Does your suggestion of sending the entire signal to them [bypassing the crossover] still hold even if they are 15s & not 12s?

Can you please explain as to a novice how I should use that ohm-meter on those horns?

How can I determine if those Crossovers are blown?

For right away - I'm going to just bypass the crossovers so we have usable monitors . . . but I'd like to educate myself on the innards of these and other speaker cabinets - so I can fix them myself if necessary.

• Members

audiopile:

I confirmed that all four of the monitors are producing absolutely NO sound from the horns when I put my 'good ear' [yes - it has come to that!!] to them.

The model of the monitors is "BW 8" ??? That's pretty much the only thing I could see that looked like a model number.

The large speakers in those monitors are 15" speakers.

Does your suggestion of sending the entire signal to them [bypassing the crossover] still hold even if they are 15s & not 12s?

Can you please explain as to a novice how I should use that ohm-meter on those horns?

How can I determine if those Crossovers are blown?

For right away - I'm going to just bypass the crossovers so we have usable monitors . . . but I'd like to educate myself on the innards of these and other speaker cabinets - so I can fix them myself if necessary.

You can use a meter as 'Pile described earlier,or take a 1 1/2 volt battery to them and see if they click. Are they the 22XT drivers?

• Members

"take a 1 1/2 volt battery to them and see if they click.

I've never done this before - do you mean touch the two contacts on the HF driver to the positive & negative of the battery?

"Are they the 22XT drivers?"

I haven't opened them up yet - so I don't really know exactly what kind of drivers they are. I just know they aren't putting out.

• Members

Is it as simple [as using an Ohm Meter or a battery] to determine if the Crossovers are blown too?

If you have signal to the crossover and the high drivers have life,it has to be somewhere in the crossover chain. Caps probably? Do the drivers make noise with the battery test?

Archived