I need.........

• Members

......the plastic Track thingy that you run your snake cable in, across high 'traffic' areas.

I can't remember what's its called.......

You link it together, and lay your snake cable into it.....then the public and other can walk over it without tripping or damaging the cable.

Thanks in advance

PJR

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

I had a couple of clients the mandated "yellow-jacket" use........

IMO, they create one hell of a trip hazard.

Do you mean that more people don't notice the cable-protector and actually do stumble over them? As opposed to what, the snake just lying there, or gaff taped down?

(Am I responding to your post?)

• Members

Is this for indoor use? If it is.......go high and use these. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3631 About 98% of the clubs that we play have drop ceilings with tracks. They are also low enough to make this work. We run the snake cable in between the clamp, push up the drop ceiling tile and connect it right to the track. Just make sure that you don't pinch the cable at the bottom when you are clamping it. Every 5 ft or so you need 1 clamp. So, for about $30, you can buy 10 clamps. This will run you about 50 to 70 ft of cable. Obviously, this is only used in clubs with a wierd layout, a drop ceiling and when running the cable in a highly traveled area is unavoidable. Using this trick, I've never seen anyone trip yet. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Kennykeys

Do you mean that more people don't notice the cable-protector and actually do stumble over them? As opposed to what, the snake just lying there, or gaff taped down?

(Am I responding to your post?)

Yup, couldn't resist eh?

Absolutely. When a lot of people are around, and they are walking around looking at everything but their feet, they stumble and trip all the time on those things. They are like 2-1/2 inches tall x 8 inches wide and a major hazard in my opinion.

A snake with a carpet runner taped tight over it is maybe 1" tall and a small transition.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

A snake with a carpet runner taped tight over it is maybe 1" tall and a small transition.

Hey, I have never thought of that. Good idea. Do you just buy one of those runners made for hallways or stairs? And tape it down at the edges? Only drawback is it offers little protection for the snake and/or cables.

• Members

True it offers little protection for vehicles, but for foot traffic it sould be no problem for any quality cable you are likely to use. I don't know about el-cheapo snake cable, but if id doesn't hold up to foot traffic, it also won't hold up to normal use either.

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

Maybe a piece of 1/8" x 3" x 20ft. flat steel stock... lay your snake down the center and then tack weld a piece of 1" angle over the top... just a few tack welds down each side with a wirefeed welder, and hose them down with water right after welding each spot. Drill a couple of hole in the flat stock on each end so you could pin it down good and it won't slide when somebody decides to hit the brakes when their front wheels are on top of the cover.

Sounds a little better than the one I helped to make once; a couple of 10" x 8' pieces of ply, two 2x4's nailed down flat to the ply with a 1" space in between for the snake. After running the cable on site, we were going to nail another piece of ply on top to complete the sandwich, but ran out of time and never did it. It worked OK as was for the app., there were only a few cars driving slowly over it, needed to fasten it down, sort of a sliding speed bump.

Archived