Vibration From SubWoofer A Problem?

• Members

I have a three piece group and use Yamaha S115IV's on stands for mains and ONE Yamaha SW500 for sub (just got the sub today). For convenience, I want to position the sub back with the instrument amps and place the amp rack w/mixer on top. The rack contains a Mackie 1202, CrownCE2000, Midiverb 4, and an MEQ230. We play classic rock, Motown, R&B etc.... will vibration from the sub create any problems with the rack components? Is there isolation foam or something we could place between the rack and the sub? I would appreciate any ideas.

• Members

If the components are well built I wouldn't worry so much. If you have tube gear or tube amp, I'd worry about vibrations rattling those around (will shorten tube lifve, but so will carrying them around for that matter)

But....are you saying you're putting the sub on stage? 'Cause that's a terrible idea. Good way to get feedback all over the place and sound muddy IMHO.

• Members

Yep - that's up there with the worst things you can do. Aside from time alignment issues with the subs being behind the mains, you will have a muddy mess on stage, feedback galore, especially if the kick is miced. Nothing good about this.

I will add, if you ever play a venue with a hollow stage do not put the subs on the stage at all. Not even up front. Get them on the ground. Subs on a hollow stage will turn the whole stage into a big resonating mess and cause big problems.

I'm sure you've heard this before too, but you are also going to be a bit bass shy with only one sub. You can run the mains full range and add sub, but it will sound better and vocals will be cleaner with 2 subs doing all the heavy lifting and the mains carrying the >100Hz frequencies.

• Members

Okay, I've had enough! Bad idea! I knew it... I guess I just wanted an excuse for doing the convenient, but wrong, thing. Thanks for the input guys. Guess I'll use a heavy-duty keyboard X stand or something for the rack and put the sub in it's proper place. Best to all.

• Members
Originally posted by abzurd

I will add, if you ever play a venue with a hollow stage do not put the subs on the stage at all. Not even up front. Get them on the ground. Subs on a hollow stage will turn the whole stage into a big resonating mess and cause big problems.

Often a permanent install will have the subs under the stage, but sometimes the stage isn't braced enough and/or the subs aren't isolated enough and the same booming mess occurs.

But then again, there are bands and "other" types of performers who ADD subs under a concert stage just in order to get it booming! Yikes!

Archived