Vocal effects

• Members

Considering maybe possibly perhaps getting some effects for the vocalist. At least reverb and delay, maybe some other fun stuff.

Who uses them? What do you use? What do you like, what do you hate? How much does it cost, where do you find the good deals?

Discuss.

-b

• Members

It all depends on what you're looking for. If you just want useable 'verb and chorus type effects and don't have much money, a simple Alesis unit could do the trick. My old band's system used a Microverb III that worked just fine and didn't sound too bad. You could also look at the Alesis Microverb (used) and the new Picoverb. They aren't even in the same league as the processors the pros use, but they sound decent and are dead simple to operate.

• Members

Originally posted by J.

It all depends on what you're looking for. If you just want useable 'verb and chorus type effects and don't have much money, a simple Alesis unit could do the trick. My old band's system used a Microverb III that worked just fine and didn't sound too bad. You could also look at the Alesis Microverb (used) and the new Picoverb. They aren't even in the same league as the processors the pros use, but they sound decent and are dead simple to operate.

The Picoverb is probably the best sounding of the budget units.

• Members

I'm using a TC Electronics M One XL, a Lexicon MPX1 and a Yamaha Rev7. I use the Yamaha on about 75% of the songs, rich warm organic reverb. The Lexicon has tons of great settings and is a snap to use. The TC is filler between the two. Very good drum reverbs.

Cost wise, the Yamaha is minimum 2 bills, if your lucky enough to find one. The Lex was $300 and the TC $400.

If your a new user, there's no need to buy a unit that you have to set your own delays. Get one with an LCD interface and descriptions. You can always mod the ones you like anyway.

• Members

I posted this true incident before last year. My band's Yamaha reverb processor died on the day of our gig.....so it was either we cancelled the show and hope that we'd save ourselves the embarasment of sounding bad or go ahead and use whatever tools we can get our hands on.

After 5 minutes of whining and bickering......I took out my guitarist's DD3 and hooked it up to the PA. Voila!. Instant digital delay. Saved the day.....client was very happy with the show....except my guitarist!:D

• Members

I just have a cheap Digitech Studio 100 in the rack. Far from the best,but it was pretty cheap and it sounds ok. I also have a 1/3 space Audio Centron for various stuff and to me,it sounds better than the small Alesis models. You can buy them on Ebay for under $50.

• Members

Originally posted by Loves_LPs

Stunning Babe,

Inquiring minds want to know: what did vocals sound like through the DD3 and a PA? I would imagine, pretty bad......
:eek:

my vocalist once ran his mic through a DD3, going mic > dd3 (using an xlr>1/4" adapter) > 1/4" out to board line in. :eek:

totally wrong by any rules, but it sounded ok - both with and without the delay.

go figure... :confused::)

AS

• Members

Originally posted by Loves_LPs

Stunning Babe,

Inquiring minds want to know: what did vocals sound like through the DD3 and a PA? I would imagine, pretty bad......
:eek:

Hey ya Loves.... it sounded pretty cool!.:D Really!. Well.....not as good as those more expensive vocal processors.....but the client didn't complain....nether did we.

In fact it sounded quite nice.....way better than those wimpy Karaoke built in echos......know what I mean?.

I'd give the thumbs up for good ol' DD3!.:cool:

Archived