In-ear monitors

• Members

One more question for the forum:

Who here uses in-ear monitors?

I know there's levels of quality, from ultra-expensive custom jobs molded to your ear to cheapass little foam jobbies that look like airline headsets.

So, what works at what price levels? How does the system work; is there a single unit that controls everyone's headsets, are they all plugged into the PA, what? What do you like about them, what do you hate about them?

Discuss.

-b

• Members

Yep, this topic has been discussed in depth. Do a search on IEM's or Shure PSM400. Bottom line is they are pricey, especially for good wireless ones and the main drawback is isolation from the crowd.

They are a godsend for singers like myself who often play out both weekend nights and sing almost 100 songs in a weekend. When you can hear clearly you play off your own sound. I am never happier than when my IEM mix is just right. The sound can be so good with them that you can give yourself goosebumps when everything is clicking. I tried using a wedge a few months ago on a one night weekend just to remind myself what it was like. I didn't last 2 songs and went back to IEM's. Our drummer also uses them (my mix even) and loves them.

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

Yep, this topic has been discussed in depth. Do a search on IEM's or Shure PSM400. Bottom line is they are pricey, especially for good wireless ones and the main drawback is isolation from the crowd.

They are a godsend for singers like myself who often play out both weekend nights and sing almost 100 songs in a weekend. When you can hear clearly you play off your own sound. I am never happier than when my IEM mix is just right. The sound can be so good with them that you can give yourself goosebumps when everything is clicking. I tried using a wedge a few months ago on a one night weekend just to remind myself what it was like. I didn't last 2 songs and went back to IEM's. Our drummer also uses them (my mix even) and loves them.

Does everyone in your band use them, or just you and the drummer?

-b

Archived