2-Space Power Amps - Best? Most Power? Best Price?

• Members

Try the Yamaha CP2000 (650 watts @ 4 ohms per channel). These should move the SM12IV with no problem. I have two of these amps to move the SM12IV as well as the SM15IV monitors and they work fine...

I purchased mine last year for around $450.00 each...

• Members

Originally posted by Drumtech

Try the Yamaha CP2000 (650 watts @ 4 ohms per channel). These should move the SM12IV with no problem. I have two of these amps to move the SM12IV as well as the SM15IV monitors and they work fine...

I purchased mine last year for around $450.00 each...

and now they're going for $400, or less. Pretty cheap. They've sold a boatload in the past couple of years. It is a no frills amp though.

QSC RMX series has all the bells and whistles and has an excellent reputation.

• Members

Originally posted by Kennykeys

QSC RMX series has all the bells and whistles and has an excellent reputation.

I'm looking at the QSC RMX2450 going for around $550. Any other amp in this power range (500wpc@8Ohms/750wpc@4Ohms) you might recommend?

Thanks again

• Members

I'm not using Yamaha speakers, but it doesn't do a damn bit of difference to my sound. *shrug* Maybe it's not hooked up.

Anyway, I use the CP2000, as you won't find a better deal on a great amp. $400 bucks for 2000 watts... close enough to the RMX2450 to not be able to tell them apart. 500WPC/700WPC on the QSC, 450WPC/650WPC on the Yammie. You're talking about much less than a 1dB difference, for a little over $150 bucks. icon13.gif

• Members

If you require an amp to power the 12" Yammie monitors, you really don't need more power than what the CP200 provides. I understand the CP2000 was designed to be used with the club series speakers. I've had two CP2000 for more than a year and they perform well.

Good Luck!

• Members

Slightly but not really off topic: Drumtech, on your CP2000s, does the fan have three speeds (off, low, high) and stay at those, or does it intermittently turn on and off? Another forumite on the Bass forum said his was doing the same thing mine was -- the fan stays off but occasionally jerks like it wants to kick on. I'm only running it 8 ohms stereo, and I don't really feel like killing a cable to bridge it at 4 ohms to test this theory out. Not to mention killing the cabinet it's plugged into. :) But he said his was doing the same thing. He called Yamaha and they said it was probably broken, because they'd never heard of that. Seems odd we'd both have the same problem though.

• Members

I'm using a Crown XLS 402 for my monitors, It's cheap and it works well. It has a it has a high pass filter & a built in limiter. The newer amp (402A) has speakon outputs. You can get one for $299. The 602 is a more powerful monitor amp and it's on sale for $269. The drawback is that it has no speakon connectors. It has binding post outputs. For $100 more the 602A has speakon connectors. It's 370 w at 8ohms and 600 w @ 4 ohms. It also has a high pass filter & a built in limiter. http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=11135&Category=Power_Amplifiers I've had the 402 for about a year now and it's never failed me yet. I'm sure that the Yamaha may be a little better. I use Yamaha gear every single week. It's good stuff but the extra $120 that you save might be another piece of useful gear. Who knows?

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

Anyway, I use the CP2000, as you won't find a better deal on a great amp. $400 bucks for 2000 watts... close enough to the RMX2450 to not be able to tell them apart. 500WPC/700WPC on the QSC, 450WPC/650WPC on the Yammie.
[/img]

Careful with those numbers. Yamaha measures the 2ohm rating (4ohm bridged) at a fleeting 20ms. Extrapolate (?) the more realistic 8 and 4ohm ratings, and I'm guessing that the 4ohm bridged output is about 1600 real world watts.

My manual for the QSC lists ( at the same 1 Khz): 475WPC@8ohms, 750 @ 4ohms, and 2400 watts bridged at 4 ohms.

So thats about 1600 watts compared to 2400 watts. In usage, I do notice quite a bit more headroom with the QSC. And don't forget those bells and whistles.

• Members

I've heard pretty good things from people who own the DCM2000, but comments about the lesser versions have been lukewarm. That said, an RMX 2450 will outperform it in every measurable category, has a very devoted fan base and a stellar reliability record for just a few bucks more. Agedhorse (please correct me if I'm wrong, Andy), who sells and services the RMX, has seen a lot of them go out the door and recently stated that he has never had one come back!

Pretty freakin' amazing,

D

• Members

Originally posted by ariscorkos

I called Guitar Center today. They will sell me a new QSC RMX2450 for $550 out the door. I am going to go for it.

That's a pretty good price if taxes are included. Not to rock the boat, but I got a quote on a RMX1850D from Filament Audio: $397 + shipping (est. $20). I bet the 2450 is about $480. They're in CA so you would also have to pay sales tax.

D

• Members

I'd shop around a little more on the RMX2450. I recently got a quote of $509 shipped. Though that was after a few phone calls to let them know that I've been a faithfull, repeat customer. That's the best I could find shipped. I didn't call Full Compass though.

Archived