Looking for Wireless Mic Advice

• Members

I'm looking for a handheld wireless mic setup for a small church. I've been given a $300 budget (I know, I know, I can't buy crap for that. . .) so I was looking at the Shure TV58D Vocal Wireless Microphone. Anyone have any experience with this mic? Anyone recommend something else in this price range? I trust the Shure name, and I'm not interested in Nady, so this seems like the best option I can find. This is the first time I've had to deal with wireless crap (just learn to deal with a cable is my philosophy) so I'm a little at a loss. The room is (I think) about 50ft x 65ft.

Thanks for the help!

• Members

I bought a Sennheiser Evolution 100 from www.fullcompass.com for $349 a year ago. It's a very nice mic with nice weight ...feels good in your hand and more importantly sounds very nice. It's UHF and freq. selectable.

I know it's more than the $300 you mentioned, but it may be work looking into.

BTW: I spoke to Erik Anderson at Full Compass 800.356 5844 x1193.

• Members

I got a Sure Ut24/58 with a Beta 58a for $379 at djmart.com. I love this mic. It sounds great, it's good on feedbak rejection, and I've never had a dropout yet. The drawback is battery life. I have to change the battery before every show just to be safe.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

You might be able to find a new-old stock Audio Technica 1400 series (1452?) for around 300. That's a great piece, and it's an all metal rack mountable UHF receiver with XLR output too.

That is a good one but i'd save up about $100 more and get the

3000 seried with Artist elite element and ajustable freq.......

• Members

Audio Technica ATW-7376X

$295 at Full Compass. This is a discontinued line. I own the condenser version of this (ATW-7373). The only knocks I have against it are:

1) plastic mic body. ZERO handling noise though.

2) not the best battery life in the world - This may be due in part to the fact that mine is a condenser and is probalby a bit more power hungry. I get about 4 hours of straight use out of mine.

3) no battery life indicator (apart from the red light on the bottom of the mic which is practically worthless)

You won't get all the "wireless" features of this in any other sub $300 mic that I know of. UHF, dual diversity, tons of user selectable frequencies, internal power supply (no wall wart).

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

$295 at Full Compass. This is a discontinued line. I own the condenser version of this (ATW-7373). The only knocks I have against it are:

1) plastic mic body. ZERO handling noise though.

2) not the best battery life in the world - This may be due in part to the fact that mine is a condenser and is probalby a bit more power hungry. I get about 4 hours of straight use out of mine.

3) no battery life indicator (apart from the red light on the bottom of the mic which is practically worthless)

You won't get all the "wireless" features of this in any other sub $300 mic that I know of. UHF, dual diversity, tons of user selectable frequencies, internal power supply (no wall wart).

I agree that the AT 3000 series is superior, I was trying to stay within budget and still have solid gear.

The 7376 is a great sounding piece, replaced (essentially) by the 3000 series which does have a line lump (not wall wart) power supply. That also would be around the $300 price if you can find them.

The 7000 series does not get great battery life, that's the drawback to an older generation wireless transmitter that does not use a switching regulator type power supply. I get about 6 hours reliably on my rental 7000's. It looks like I get about 8 hours on the 3000's which are 2 x AA's.

The 7000 does have a battery indicator, the light flashes when first turned on then goes out. This is the good battery indicator. When the battery light stays on, or turns on, it's time to replace the battery.

• Members

Originally posted by Audioeast

That is a good one but i'd save up about $100 more and get the

3000 seried with Artist elite element and ajustable freq.......

We just got 4 of those for our church. Very, very, very nice for the money.

Archived