Is it really a good idea to spread the sound evenly in the room?

• Members

It was my drummer who said this (yeah I know, but sometimes I listen to him anyway :) ) when I spoke to him about micing his drumkit for the next gig.

"You know, a lot of people don't like it when the sound spread evenly in the room cuse they actually just wanna talk to each other. Those who wanna listen can get up front."

There's a lot of visdom in that actually.

My plan is still to close mic everything, mainly cause I haven't tried it before. But this is a good thought. Or what do you think. I'm not talking about concerts now, places where people come only to see the band, I'm talking bars and clubs.

• CMS Author

I'm not sure what he's saying....you always want a balanced mix, and in anything from medium rooms up to outdoor gigs this requires the drums to be mic'd. You don't want dead spots within the area that specatators are listening, and of course sound naturally decreases with distance (a point perhaps lost on drummers?;) ), so I don't quite know what he's expecting.

The overall SPL is dictated by the venue and act, but even coverage of the room is always the goal.

• Members

The quality of sound should always be spread throughout the room, but not necessarily in equal loudness. The "spread," called coverage, means that everyone can hear every instrument and voice in the mix no matter where they are in the room. Ideally, they should experience full-spectrum sound as well. (This is where it gets difficult because of off-axis falloffs, standing waves, absorption, reflections and a number of other factors.)

As for loudness, it is natural for the sound level to drop as you get further from the stage. So naturally, the people who want to hear it loud and clean will tend to move toward the stage, and those who wish to talk will migrate to the rear of the room. If you're too loud, you'll hear most of the complaints from the people in the back of the room.

• Members

Spread the sound evenly throughout the room? Not in the clubs I work! Man, I get killed if the bartenders can't hear the orders from the servers...well, not exactly killed but lots of little notes, some maybe not so friendly. So I want the sound loudest on the dance floor, and I want it to gradually dissipate as you move towards the seating area and to the bar, and hopefully the bar will be on the far wall from the stage...but sometimes I don't get my wish on this one. And I want the highs to die at the same rate as the lows, so I like short-throw horns (none of those horns that throw the sound hundreds of feet for me), and I try to put the main cabs right on the dance floor if I can. The mostly small clubs I work (under 200) are a different world entirely from the large club or concert circuit.

Archived