What to buy?

• Members

hi there... through some luck i've come across a cool $2000 to do with whatever i please. I've been stuck with a very poor guitar whose action is too high and tone changes throughout the neck, and doesn't have a pick up. i'm looking to buy a new guitar, pick up and amp, along with a decent vocal mic... there was a martin D-18 that really got my attention... and i've gotten a lot of information concerning a pick up... my big question is the Vocal Mic and the acoustic amp i should get... saving an extra few hundred to add to the 2K isn't out of the queston though i'd like to get some decent equiptment now that i've got some money and FINALLY start out on this music thing... any suggestions?

thanks

Manny

• Members

Check out :

Larrivee acoustics

Ultrasound amps or perhaps even a JBL or Mackie powered monitor for an all-in-one solution to amplifying your guitar & vocal.

Something like that should bring you right in at around $2000 with top of the line gear.

Don't really know what to suggest with regards to vocal mikes. I use an AKG 535, and am quite happy with it. Heard good things about the Audix OM-7, and of course there's always the trusty Shure SM58.

• CMS Author

There are a few acoustic combo amps out there. Many have an XLR-equipped microphone channel and of these some claim they're okay for vocals. Fender, Carvin (I don't recommend), Guitar research (never heard theirs), SWR (nice tone), Roland and others are out there.

There are a lot of powered speakers with multi-channel mixers built in. They may or may not sound good with acoustic guitar, but you should get a good preamp/DI anyway.

A Martin D-18 is a really nice guitar. You won't have much amp budget left after purchasing it, but it's worth having one of those beauties.

• Members

Can't go wrong with a Martin, though I personally like Alvarez-Yairi quite a bit. Martin quality and you're not paying so much for the name! Alvarez System 600 pickup is nice, and allows you to add a mic to the guitar that you can blend with the piezo.

I assume you're talking about an acosutic amp...are you going through a PA anyway? What I mean is, do you really need an acoustic amp? If not, put a couple hundred in a nice DI box instead.

For vocal mics, well...hmmm....what kind of voice do you have? If you've got a big, low voice then an Audix OM5 is th mic for you. If it's a little more in-the-middle, Look at an Audix OM6 or OM7. Great mics. Shure Beta 58s aren't bad either, nor Sennheiser eSeries...

Archived