Mackie 1801's Vs Yorkville LS800P's

• Members

No comparison. You are comparing apples to oranges and you get what you pay for. Unless you get into the TX series subs, Yorkville are pretty undefined in the sub bass market.

Check out the new TCS stuff at www.tcsaudio.com . It is very good, uses B&C drivers, and the price is right. I talked to the guy that beta tested these things, and he has a substancial EAW KF850/SB1000 rig, and he said they fooled a visiting engineer with them. They are 1/4 of the cost of an EAW and rival it.

• Members

I don't know who told you that the Yorkville line was undefined, but.....the elite line of subs have been well accepted. I currently use the LS1208 subs which are the larger horn loaded ones. The LS700P and the LS808's are both getting rave reviews.

• Members

+1 for the Yorkies. I too am a Yorkville elite user. Nothing but good things to say. I'd grade them better than the Mackie at a much cheaper price. You'd need to get the birch option of the Yorkie to keep things even in construction (the base model is spruce). They both go down to 45hz (-3) and the Yorkie is 137 max db compared to 135 from the Mackie. Both have good drivers RCF vs. B&C. Again, all things being even...maybe a slight edge to Yorkie on having a touch more headroom....throw in the huge price differance & the warrantee and it's not a contest.

• Members

Originally posted by imperial

No comparison. You are comparing apples to oranges and you get what you pay for. Unless you get into the TX series subs, Yorkville are pretty undefined in the sub bass market.

Check out the new TCS stuff at
www.tcsaudio.com
. It is very good, uses B&C drivers, and the price is right. I talked to the guy that beta tested these things, and he has a substancial EAW KF850/SB1000 rig, and he said they fooled a visiting engineer with them. They are 1/4 of the cost of an EAW and rival it.

DUUUUDE your comparing apples to oranges!!!!

he wants to know if the the ls800p is comparable to the Mackie 18" sub for far less dough - and for the record it eats it alive.......

oh and the LS800P also uses B&C drivers..........

unless you get into the tx????? The TX is great but still pretty

pricey.... have you even heard the elite boxes?? didnt think so......

The LS1004 is the best dual 18" sub out their under $1000

The LS800P is the best Powered sub under $1000 IMO

yes it's my opinion but aleast i've heard the 2 boxes in question

another uniformed opinion!

TCS isnt that carvin..........geez

• Members

I sell Yorkville.

Ok, at first I thought he meant LS800, which is now the LS808 passive. I see now that he means the LS800P.

My apples and oranges comment was not defined well enough and based on the statement above. The new LS808 and the SWA1801 are not models that I would say are in direct competition with one another.

The SWA is horn loaded, it uses RCF (which is an OEM driver, not off-the-shelf), and it is active. The LS808 is rear horn loaded, it uses Eminence (Yorkville has made an attempt to use Eminence in the LS products) and is not active. I did not see how these could be compared.

What would have been a good sub to use with that front loaded system would be a single front loaded TCS1800 IMO. That was the statement and I stand by it. Since he needs active then the LS800P would be ideal.

As for the TX comment, what I said was that in the Yorkville line, in my opinion, you don't get really great bass until you get to the TX. Again, my opinion as a dealer. I gues it all depends on what you consider good bass.

You get what you pay for has nothing to do with the EAW and the TCS. In this instance, EAW is a small manufacture, with a niche market, in relation to a company like Carvin or Peavey or Yorkville, who make SKU's more product. I am not saying that the TCS IS an 850. What I am saying is that they built a box that competes very well. It is not the same topology exactly, and has no circuitry like the 850. TCS builds boxes more profitably because of the economy of scale.

As far as drivers go, EAW has changed many times from Eminence, McCauley, RCF to 18 sound to...

TCS uses B&C.

Having been a PM and BE for the last 7 years, I would not accept any Yorkville or Mackie for any shows.

But, if I were to rent small PA to the weekend warriors, I would use Yorkville for the warranty alone. You just don't get great support like that from the Mackie machine.

• Members

My LS608s have B&C drivers and do the job for me. Unless I am mistaken, my conversations with the Yorkville factory led me to believe that ALL of the Elite series (of which the LS enclosures are a part) uses the B&C drivers. The YS series uses the Eminence.

Kim

• Members

Originally posted by Audioeast

TCS isnt that carvin..........geez

Yeah Dan, but the TCS cabs have been Carvin's attempts at a upper level line. They just revamped the line, and it's looking better. 3-way cabs with 8" mids, tri-amp only. Switched to B&C drivers (all three drivers?....I don't know). They had previously used Kilomaxes, which aren't Eminence's best 15 and 18. Don't know about the horns.... I think they used to use Zomax horn drivers, so would hope they switched those to B&C's also. I asked all of this at their Live Audio forum, but got no response. They want you to call their rep. Since TCS recently started running a banner ad on The LAB, there's been a few threads over there about Carvin. Now Carvin says they're re-building the brand new TCS website already, to provide more info.

I like to use a simple, standard box (like a ported double 18 sub) when comparing companies. But the new TCS2800 says it's a "compound planer" design.....wha'zat??? Anyway, it's $1400.

• Members

The SWA is horn loaded, it uses RCF (which is an OEM driver, not off-the-shelf), and it is active.

.......And what is the over-all opinion of these new, (made to Mackie specs) drivers as compared to the old RCF drivers upon which the company's excellent reputation was built?

The LS808 is rear horn loaded, it uses Eminence (Yorkville has made an attempt to use Eminence in the LS products)

.................... Oh? When did the "LS products" drop their B&C loads?

:

• Members

Originally posted by thunderpaw

My LS608s have B&C drivers and do the job for me. Unless I am mistaken, my conversations with the Yorkville factory led me to believe that
ALL
of the Elite series (of which the LS enclosures are a part) uses the B&C drivers. The
YS
series uses the Eminence.

Kim

Compound planer means that the drivers are loaded by facing each other. Check out www.tcsaudio.com to see their cut-away. It is a steeper angle than the EAW SB1000. It is very effective. Both boxes are great for long distances.

• Members

Clarification:

I stated that the drivers in the new Elite were Eminence. They are B&C's and RCF's. The LS800P, and all of the other powered subs have cast frame Eminence.

Sorry. My rep was wrong, and I have never had to take one apart to service one.

Thanks.

• Members

Compound planer means that the drivers are loaded by facing each other. Check out
www.tcsaudio.com
to see their cut-away. It is a steeper angle than the EAW SB1000. It is very effective. Both boxes are great for long distances.

A term developed by a marketing department that has nothing to do with anything in the real world.

A couple of potential problems with this type of arrangement are the reduction in cone life due to the bombarding of the opposite driver's acoustic output (EV had problems with this) and phase coherancy issues at higher frequencies (not as much a problem with subs, but even at 250 Hz it's there and you are only 24dB down max at that point so it's audible)

There are solutions to this by using wave guides and such, but generally it's not ideal. It is a way to increase effective efficiency (not at the very bottom end) from about 60Hz on up.

• Members

Drummer jay, I got the 'entry-level' elite subs, the 608s. One of my guitarist's has the Mackie 1500s. While the Mackies sound good, they don't get anywhere near as loud as my 608s...nor do they have the same 'punch' on kick or bass guitar. Size and weight were important considerations for me, hence my choosing the 608s. Plus, they are extremely efficient. I would buy another pair in a heartbeat, but really haven't needed to...and the 500 or so watts/side has been more than enough for us. But, we are NOT a sound company...just weekend warriors in a bar band. I would expect the 808s or 800Ps to be better than my 608s.

Kim

• Members

Originally posted by Kennykeys

Switched to B&C drivers (all three drivers?....I don't know). They had previously used Kilomaxes, which aren't Eminence's best 15 and 18. Don't know about the horns.... I think they used to use Zomax horn drivers, so would hope they switched those to B&C's also.

I guess as of today (or is it my flakey Adobe Acrobat program), the "specs" are linking up at the TCS website. On the three cabs I looked at (before I got tired of re-starting my 'puter), they are using B&C drivers all the way. And all drivers are standard production "off the shelf" units.

Archived