SR4735X for $1,000. Yay or nay?

• CMS Author

The local Guitar Center's got two demo SR's, about a year old. I asked and they'll let me have them for a grand apiece. Decent deal? For new, they'd have to order and the price is $1,100. I'm tempted to get the demos, which are rarely used due to the fact nobody buys them from GC. Full new warranty, etc. apply.

• Members

You got cash? I'll bet you can work em'. Start waving loot under a manager's nose and see what happens. :D You can get them brand new for $1300. I'll bet that you can get them a little cheaper but those are killer boxes. Ask if they will do it tax free for someone that lives in Delaware..........I'll give you my address. You can use it to get them for a few bucks less. ;) If they tax you on it, you're gonna pay $66 per speaker. You'll be saving $266 bucks on a pair of Floor model speakers after taxes. But I'll bet that 8th St in Philly will knock $100 bucks off of each box, anyway. I'd call them & see what kind of deal they'll give you. If you tell them that you have a De. address, they'll skip the taxes. They might skip the taxes for cash too. Ask for Randy. He owns the joint. If you want to take me up on the offer, my e-mail address is in my profile.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Tommy Tune

You got cash? I'll bet you can work em'. Start waving loot under a manager's nose and see what happens.
:D

That's the plan...if the starting price is in the ballpark for a demo unit, I figure I'll talk them out of an additional hundred or so, or get some other goodies thrown in. GC has been pretty good for me in this way. My goal is to walk away with the two SR's, cables, an amp or two, for under $3,000.

Of course this blows my entire budget (well, I've got the board at least) and I'll be scraping for all the rest of the stuff I need, but I'd rather get top-shelf speakers to start if I can manage it.

• CMS Author

Of course, I go look on JBL's website and notice that this is the one speaker that's specifically listed as being for "long-throw applications". So what's the downside to using these for the small clubs that are all I can hope to find work in? No midrange in the middle of the room? There's absolutely no way I can afford more than two of these, so arraying them is out of the question.

I'm a patient guy, but this PA-building is starting to wear on me......

• Members

For the money you are talking about take a good look at the Yorkville Elite series. I bought EF-508s and am extremely pleased. I had looked at the SRX line but feel I got much more value for the dollar.

You can get two E-152 cabs for about $1,600 delivered. 15" B & C woofer and a large titanium tweeter witha a 2" EXIT diameter (driver is about 4"). It crosses at 850 Hz like my 508s do and it is one of the smoothest cabs I've heard.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by J the D

For the money you are talking about take a good look at the Yorkville Elite series. I bought EF-508s and am extremely pleased. I had looked at the SRX line but feel I got much more value for the dollar.

You can get two E-152 cabs for about $1,600 delivered. 15" B & C woofer and a large titanium tweeter witha a 2" EXIT diameter (driver is about 4"). It crosses at 850 Hz like my 508s do and it is one of the smoothest cabs I've heard.

I think I've finally found a dealer where I can try them out....it's still a long ride but what the {censored}, it's also a lot of money and I want to get the best possible setup.

• Members

I have several pairs of the SR4735X's. I LOVE them for LONG THROW applications. They are crystal clear, throw the vocals way out there, and are quite musical with virtually no eq.

I wouldn't recommend them for smaller applications. I think we paid just under $1000 new each.

Rick

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

I think I've finally found a dealer where I can try them out....it's still a long ride but what the {censored}, it's also a lot of money and I want to get the best possible setup.

If you go to www.yorkville.com under Dealer info you can find info for dealers in different states. They list 2 in Philthadephia and 1 in shillington (think its a little north east of Lancaster).

• CMS Author

Originally posted by fossil

If you go to
www.yorkville.com
under Dealer info you can find info for dealers in different states. They list 2 in Philthadephia and 1 in shillington (think its a little north east of Lancaster).

Thanks fossil....the one I 'discovered' is Fred's in Shillington, which is north of Lancaster, and they also have a store in Lancaster as well.

I don't know how I missed that they have Yorkville until now....this is at least the third time I've looked for a Yorkville dealer close to me.

• Members

Craigv if you do wander out to shillington let me know what you think of their Yorkville selection. I was thinking of making a trip out there someday in the not so distant future, but would be nice to know before hand if they carried a lot of the Yorky line. Would hate to make a trip to lackluster, PA for no good reason ;P

• CMS Author

Originally posted by fossil

Craigv if you do wander out to shillington let me know what you think of their Yorkville selection. I was thinking of making a trip out there someday in the not so distant future, but would be nice to know before hand if they carried a lot of the Yorky line. Would hate to make a trip to lackluster, PA for no good reason ;P

Deal.

I'll do a trip report if I make it there. I called and they said they stock elite, and they also rent it. Then they said I lived too far to rent to me (what the {censored} do they care how far it's driven, as long as it comes back) but that I could try it in the store. That's the part where I get squirrely....too many shops have SR as a 'sideline' to the more popular business of pushing Strats and Line-6's to punks, and they have no way of properly testing cabinets. So we'll see.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

So which SR- would be better suited to the small gig situtation?

Personally, I like the SR4732x's. I just like the midrange of the 12's. Some like the 15's in the SR4733x. Just listen to them both and make your decision.

Rick

• CMS Author

Originally posted by rickkreuzer

Personally, I like the SR4732x's. I just like the midrange of the 12's. Some like the 15's in the SR4733x. Just listen to them both and make your decision.

Rick

I like the 4732's too. Alas, the budget simply can't be stretched enough for them. I'm really more properly funded for a system that features Yammy Club Series, just to give you a good picture of where I'm coming from.

Archived