We need more subs! 4 15's or 2 18's

• Members

Hey everybody... Well, In my effort to always improve our sound, I know we need more low end. The rest of the guys don't get it, but then again they don't dedicate any of thier time to research and what not. We have low end in the aspect of "low end presence" meaning you can hear the bass and what not. What we don't have is that nice PUNCH of the kick drum.

Being a drummer, this bugs me! I like to be able to feel the kick drum at a show. To ME that what makes it above average!

Anyway, we have two Mackie 1530's and two mackie 1500 subs. The debate is what to get? Sell our two 1500's and buy 2 1801's ?? Or buy two more 15's?? I've heard allot of debates over what is better? So I want to ask to be sure!!

Also, another option I was considering was to purchase two JBL sf22SP subs.. Dual powered 12's ??? for a total of 2 15's and 4 12's ..see specs here

If I were to get those JBL's could I put our mackie 1530's on top of those, and keep our other two subs in the middle??? Or would that sound muddy as hell????

Thanks in advance!

Jason

• Members

You dont want to mix-match different subs. Bad idea, bad sound.

I've used a setup with 1530's/1801's like you mention. It was quite nice for the size, and night and day compared to the 1500's. I definantly suggest you sell the 1500's and get a pair of 1801's.

• Members

Yeah, I like that idea! Only problem I see is that we started putting the subs in the middle of the stage and it helped out soooooooo much with the overall sound! Lots of times the venues we play have NO stage besides a drum riser. Are those 18's to big to go directly infront of the lead singer? How did u have them set up and how did they sound?

• Members

You need to stay with front loaded subs since the rest of your system is front loaded. Mixing horn loaded subs like that JBL will necessitate making some adjustments electronically, and lessen the impact of the bass in the near field, but increasing it in the far field.

Adding 1 cabinet increases your SPL by 3dBA SPL.

• Members

You know... This has got me thinking... I could sell our two 1500's for around 800. For a total of 1600 to spend towards to 18's. This puts me at about 1 1/3 of what I need for two 1801's. OR, I'd be RIGHT at what I need for two Yorkville LS800P!!! Which ones should I get??? How do they compare to the mackies??

Thanks, jason

OH, is it a sin to mix yorkie stuff with mackie stuff??? ;)

Archived