Please help me work out what I need..

• Members

I've heard that the best way to get a good piezo sound is to run direct to a PA. (I'm using a MusicMan Axis SuperSport) Could I achieve the same thing by running to a power amp(say a MosValve or a Carvin DCM150) and then into a 2x12 Marshall cab? If not, could someone explain why? Could I run a Shure SM58 straight into a power amp?

• CMS Author

If only it were that easy.

The signal produced by either a piezo pickup or a microphone is not sufficiently strong to drive a power amp. You need some type of preamp to boost the signal to a level that the amp can use. A mixing console can provide this, but you also have to be careful to match impedance for the piezo...and this would require a direct box of some type. This will convert the high impedance of a pickup to the low impedance of a mixer's microphone preamp. Of course if your mixer has inputs for high-impedance devices, you can skip that step.

As I noted in your other thread, a guitar cabinet is not designed for voice reproduction, so while it might be "okay" for practice, it likely will sound crappy and unsuitable for an audience.

Archived