Need help with cable wiring issue Guys please.

• Members

Hi everyone , I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Peavey Graphic ( 431Q ) ..the one with the FLC function built in .

I want to connect it to my Soundcraft 16 desk . I will be using 2 x Insert quater inch Jacks on the back to connect to the Graphic ( these are stereo 1/4" jacks as far as I'm aware ) . The input and Outputs on the back of the Graphic are also 1/4 inch jacks ( Balanced OR unbalanced ....apparently they can take either.

How do I wire up the cables ?

thanks very much in advance.

• Members

This depends on which model Soundcraft console, early ones were tip send ring return, but later they switched to ring send tip return.

Since the inserts on most of the Soundcrafts (other than the larger models) are unbalanced, then it's tip to tip on one side, tip to ring on the other side and grounds connect all sleeves together.

Why not just use XLR to XLR cables and forget the insert thing? That would be the preferred way to go.

• Members
Originally posted by davecon

Are you saying to connect the Graphic in between the main outputs of the desk and the Crossover ?

yep. board main outputs > EQ inputs; EQ outputs > x/o inputs.

Would there be a small signal drop this way ?

nope.

AS

• Members

Ah..but.............there is only one input on the Graphic ( 1 x 1/4" Jack ) and one output ( 1 x 1/4 inch Jack ) which can be balanced or unbalanced........and there are two outputs on the desk .......which brings me back to the question of how to wire the cable ............and then , more problems how do I connect the snake XLR's to the output of the graphic..............aghh help please.

• Members

Originally posted by ashivraj

buy a 1/4" TRS > MXLR cable (or two for stereo). 1/4" goes in the EQ output, MXLR to the snake.

if your board doesnt have 1/4" balanced outs, do the same thing from board to EQ with a FXLR > 1/4" TRS (or two!)

AS

Yes, this would be the preferred and most correct way.

Archived