Can I use a simple PA to run a single guitar cab?

• Members

I've got a 2x12 Marshall cab kicking around. Could I use a simple 4 channel PA to power this (ie. no other speakers, effectively using the PA as a multi channel power amp). I'm thinking I could then amplify a POD through one input, run the guitar's Piezo output to another channel and maybe a vocal mike into a third output.

• CMS Author

Yes, you can do this. You may not be too happy with the results though, at least for the vocals, because it's very unlikely that the speakers are voiced for vocals. Most Marshall cabs have Celestions that are very specifically tailored for great guitar tone.

There are powered speakers that have two-to-four channel mini mixers built in. Samson, JBL, etc have them.

• Members

It'll work. At band practice my friend's Jackson tube head took a vacation, so he needed something to finish the night with. I pulled out my old Kustom 4 channel (bought back in my years of ignorance in high school) and he used it to power his 412 cab. Put a preamp in front of it (this case a Korg 411fx) and it didn't sounded good enough to keep practicing.

I would assume you could tweak the POD to get a good guitar sound out of that setup, but the vocal mic probably won't sound good. In fact I'm pretty sure that the vocal mic will sound like crap through your guitar cab. You'd be much better suited with a dedicated setup for vocals. As Craigv said, powered speakers would be an option, as would another (decent) powered mixer and perhaps a good monitor wedge or two.

Archived