Another Cabling ?

• Members

Balanced TRS from Aux sends on Allen-Heath MixWiz 16:2 DX To DOD SR231QX EQ Balanced inputs (so far, no problem). Balanced TRS or XLR outs from EQ to Unbalanced XLR or TS inputs on an OLD Yamaha P2200 Power amp. What do I use for this connection?

Thanks

• Members

unbalanced XLR? that's a start. i guess you could just use XLRs from the EQ to the amp... no custom jobbies thataway.

unless... you could find one of those 1:1 isolation transformers that goes FXLR > 1/4" TS. rat shack has them for 14.99, and i believe andy (Agedhorse) has some too.

AS

• Members

Originally posted by ashivraj

unbalanced XLR? that's a start. i guess you could just use XLRs from the EQ to the amp... no custom jobbies thataway.

unless... you could find one of those 1:1 isolation transformers that goes FXLR > 1/4" TS. rat shack has them for 14.99, and i believe andy (Agedhorse) has some too.

AS

Can't use the Radio Shack transformers, they are about 10:1 and will not work correctly.

I used to service the P2200's and they are indeed XLR unbalanced inputs, though I recall that either there is (or was) an optional transformer input module (octal) available for the amp or depending on the vintage, there may have been space for a transformer on the input pcb.

Generally on that amp, ground loop noise was not a big problem so I would first treat it as though it was a balanced XLR (the conversion to unbalanced takes place inside the amp and is transparent to the user) by using a standard XLR-XLR cable. Be sure that both channels are set to the same polarity (pin 2 or pin 3 hot) as it is switched on that amp.

The newer version of that model, I can't remember the model, featured differential balanced inputs.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Generally on that amp, ground loop noise was not a big problem so I would first treat it as though it was a balanced XLR (the conversion to unbalanced takes place inside the amp and is transparent to the user) by using a standard XLR-XLR cable. Be sure that both channels are set to the same polarity (pin 2 or pin 3 hot) as it is switched on that amp.

The newer version of that model, I can't remember the model, featured differential balanced inputs.

Thanks! I've always used XLR's on this amp and never realized they were unbalanced. It always worked just fine. Pin 2 is hot on everyting else in the rack, so I have it set for 2. I still have the manual for this amp after more than 20 yrs. I read thru it and got concerned about hook-up. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

Archived