Crossovers - Bessel vs Butterworth vs Linkwitz-Riley vs blah blah blah

• Members

Hey guys, for my recording class, I've got to do a small report on Bessel crossovers. The point of this is to get us used to researching obscure stuff on our own - as you can see from my post count, I'm plenty good at that, but this crossover thing has got me stumped.

From the information I can find (which is limited) it seems like from a physical standpoint, all crossover designs (Bessel, Linkwitz, etc) are basically the same, they just use capacitors and inductors with different values. The effect of these different values is seen in different phase responses, amplitude responses, polar patterns, and cutoff slopes.

What I gather is that Bessel crossovers are designed to have a flat phase response, while Butterworths have a flat magnitude response, and Linkwitz-Rileys have accurate polar patterns at the crossover frequency.

Does this sound right? I thought "different value components" sounded like too easy of an answer.

-Dan.

• Members

Originally posted by bassknave

The filter Qs vary as well. Butterworth have a Q of 0.707; L-R looks like a pair of cascaded Butterworth.

oh yeah, right. But that's still more of an effect than a physical design change, right? They're still the same layout, just with components of different values...

-Dan.

Archived