Direct box or not for acoustic guitar

• Members

I play in an acoustic duo. We have two nice guitars with electronics (Martin and a Taylor 514CE). Here is a list of some of the PA stuff:

Mackie 1402vlz pro

Behringer compressor

TC Electronics M300 for general effects

TC Electronics G-Force for the taylor

I have been running my Taylor like this:

Taylor -> direct box -> mixer -> insert to G-Force -> back into line level input

My question is this: What am I gaining by using the direct box? The 1402 has a quarter inch input on each of it's mic channels. Do I need to run through the direct box or should I just plug into the quarter inch input?

Sorry if this is a dumb question for this group. I am primarily a guitar player, not an sound man.

Thanks for any help.

• Members

You will get a much better sound running into the direct box. I would also suggest running through the g-force before the direct box, rather than inserting it at the board (thats just me, I like to keep my guitar stuff as separate from the pa as possible)

personally, for acoustic I use a tech 21 acoustic DI, which has a built in effects loop for all my acoustic guitar effects

• Members

Better sound really depends on the DI. My guitar sounds really nice plugged into a decent preamp or plugged straight into the board. It sounds awesome plugged into a decent acoustic amp and DI out of that. It also sounds pretty good plugged into a cheap passive DI (Proel or something?) It sucks big time plugged into the 4 channel Behringer active DI we've got at church - sounds like cardboard.

My advice is to do whichever sounds best to you.

-Dan

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I guess my more specific question is what is different in the signal chain with the two types of inputs. If my quarter inch cable is about 20 feet and then I run into a direct box and run another 20 foot cable to the mixer what have I gained? I could just run the quarter inch cable directly into the mixer. Does the balanced input go through a different preamp section or is it just a hotter signal?

• Members

The biggest difference is the input impedance that your guitar will see. Most active DI's are around 500k, where a typical unbalanced board input is from 10k - 47k. This difference can load down your pickup if it is a passive one, but may also interact with many active pickups as well, but not to as great of an extent.

• Members

Yeah... I've seen those, and it would be nice, but unfortunately I have an accoustic with an unusual soundhole... Sort of like a rounded triangle. Maybe I'll have to try fabricating something similar on my own.

I have had a few Taylors in my day. I remember reaching into my gig bag for the "feedback buster" and it was gone. Being an end result kind of guy, I slapped some duct tape over the sound hole. Go figure......duct tape on a $1700 guitar. The sound guy just looked at me and smiled. Hey, whatever works. It looked like {censored} but it was effective.

Archived