phase cancellation put to good use?

• Members

i've read a little bit about this somewhere, but can't remember where.

here's my predicament: the drums are miced kick, OH-L, OH-R. the snare is being picked up PLENTY by the 3 vocal mics. as a result, i cant get enough cymbals/hats in the mix without making the snare dominate the mix.

the drummer is a snare-hitter, so im not too worried about the snare not being in the mix. i'd really like some of the hats though. and a touch of cymbals as well!

ideas i've had so far, most of which would work:

- vocal mic placement

- drum shield

- mic kick/snare/OH instead (limited to 3 channels for drums)

but my question is more hypothetical than practical. is there some way i can reverse polarity on particular mics to get what i want? im thinking, if i reverse on both the OH mics, then the snare will cancel itself out. BTW, the vocal mics arent picking up too much of the cymbals. dunno why though!

so practical considerations aside, would this work in theory? if not, would ANY kind of phase-reversal work?

AS

• Members

Sounds like a perfect solution... but as with all "perfect solutions" there are a couple of things that prevent it from working.

You can reverse the phase of a mic, but the information you are trying to cancel is not phase coherent but rather phase shifted due to varying distances between the sources and the phase shift due to frequency is also a direct function of distance.

So, in order for this to work, you would need to have the signal be represented by a single frequency tone, and the distance would have to be adjusted in order for it to calculate out to exactly 1/f x speed of sound for cancellation.

Sorry, it does seem like a good solution though!

Archived