Rack cases -- four space $$$ WTF?

• Members

I just purchased a bass rig (preamp +power amp) and went looking this weekend for a 4space rack case to transport in. (only using 3 spaces now, but may add something later).

Anyway, I checked at GC and the wanted about $100 - $140 for an SKB 4 space case..... What? $100 for a box?

So, I was wondering about other options. Any good options at more reasonable prices? How about building my own? I know I can get the rackmounts for about $10. Anybody ever build a case, and is it worthwhile? Or, considering the amp is already pretty heavy, would I be better off saving my back and getting the $130 SKB plastic case?

thanks

• Members

Yeah, well, this is one of those situations where the materials are the least expensive part of the project. So the difference between 2 spaces and 12 spaces is probably 50 cents worth of plastic and 25 cents worth of steel. The big expense, aside from marketing and distribution and shipping from China, is actually stuffing the ingredients into THE MACHINE.

Actually I had the same exact problem, even down to being a bass player putting together a rig. I decided that a homemade case would work, and ended up trading some electronics work to a carpenter friend for a basic plywood rack which I completed.

The only real problem is weight... I almost wish I'd bought the plastic rack for $100, but since I don't gig all that much it's not really a big deal. The 1/2" plywood (high quality stuff) ended up adding 10 pounds or so, enough to be noticable.

• Members

Sorry but I'd buy just about anything before I suffered through another one of those pastic racks. Go on ebay, type in anvil and get yourself a nice, beatup, real rack. It won't bend, it won't cut up your hands, it won't disappoint you.

• Members

Racks are NOT cheap... or at least not inexpensive.

A GOOD carpenter can make a nice looking, and good functioning rack pretty easily... but it won't have all the corners and stuff on it maybe.

You can also check E-bay and stuff... but in the end, you are going to have to take a hit somehow or another to get a good rack. The carpenter will want paid,even for a "home made" one, and it takes a little time to cut all the pieces together, and glue and clamp and screw them together,then sand and prime and paint it or cover it with carpet and all that stuff, not to mention putting in the mounting gear and stuff.

• Members

Gator is the the original skb guy who did not care for gator officers direction with the company.....so he left and started it over.........they did improve on some stuff - stronger latches - better concepts for nifty rack ideas....front and back rack rails -

real rack rails (not a bunch of stupid clips) - oh and much better co. to deal with than skb......

• Members

ooops back to the thread topic......cases are expensive because of shipping! labor! and the huge amount of product the case companys must manufacture and keep parts for......

it probably takes 1.5 hour to make a case (when tooled right) $40 labor cost....

then say a 4 space might require

$25 parts (wood, rackrails, ozite,corners,spray paint,hardware)

now it must be shipped to store $15

then the store must make somthing?

thats $80 before counting the machines, electricity,the girl who anwsers the phone, girl who pays the bills, training,phonelines,internet service, insurance , workmans comp,taxes,heat,poland springs water cooler, ............

• Members

Originally posted by Audioeast

thats $80 before counting the machines, electricity,the girl who anwsers the phone, girl who pays the bills, training,phonelines,internet service, insurance , workmans comp,taxes,heat,poland springs water cooler, ............

And, hopefully, toilet paper!

I too prefer Gator over SKB. Although the latches are about the same, pretty crappy, easily bendable, the rack rails are better and without those dumb clips. I have a Roller Rack (has a pullout handle and roller blade style wheels). It's pretty darn handy. I no longer have to pull right up to the curb at a club. I can park anyplace and roll on in.

for small racks I don't see the need for a wood rack. 2 - 6 space racks arent' going to flex much, especially if they are fully racked. Now when you get to 10 - 12 spaces with a bunch of amps racked in them then they are silly.

• Members

Yeah yeah... ok....I guess it was just sticker shock.... $100+ for a box?

My plan is this. I will go to home Depot this weekind and buy $40 worth of parts. I'll get home and measure out the wood inacurately... Feeling I can work around this I will start to assemble the parts..... Discovering that my dimentions are wrong and that I had the wrong parts I will go back to home depot and purchase another $20 worth of parts to replace the wrong ones and get new wood.

With a newfound confidence I will proceed to assemble my box once again.... after bandaging the multiple injurys recieved during the construction process, I will have a brand new misshapen box that weighs 150 lbs....

.... Sigh... then again, maybe I'll just eat the $100 and get one of those cool Gator cases.

:mad::p:D

• Members

Yep, i've bought a good $800 in road cases from Ebay in the last year. You can find good racks with the heavy metal corners and really tough latches and handles for under $100.

I have a real problem with the molded cases like SKB and Gator, they tend to go out of shape with heavy loads like power amps and larger bass amps. Also both of the two SKB cases I've had cracked during load-in in cold weather. Skb says they aren't supposed to do that, but I live in MN, and I don't think they have a realistic idea of just how cold -20f is. Sure the ATA cases are heavier, but they're also tougher, and considering the cost of the gear I put in them, I'd rather have the tougher cases.

Here's a good example...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2575288971&category=23789

• Members

I personally would not buy a molded case for power amps

but they are handy our cocktail systems (mixer eq fx in one rack)

or it's good for monitor eq's, or CD Player rentals, or wireless,

there are a ton of light weight rack peices that molded racks are perfect for...(keeping the stuff light weight and easily movable)

But come on.....anyone who puts 2 60lb amps in a plastic rack really didnt think the physics of their rack selection through!

• Members

Well, I was starting to look at one of these

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=262-930&DID=7

I will be putting in it a Crest Power amp (47 lbs)

And a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI pre (5 lbs.)

Plus I may add either a powerstrip or a rack tuner for the 4th space. I do not think I wll be doing any major shipping of the amp or anything. Just wanted to provide ease in taking it to gigs and give it some protection.

Wouldn't this be sufficient?

• Members

yup that'll do it....i would not put any other amps in there ...but 1 45 lb amp will transport fine in those.....the most coomon problem is peole trying to pick these up by the "rolling handle" and that handle is for pulling on the wheels only.....

either way.... anytime our costumers have had any issues with a case they took care of it promptly.....for the most part!

• Members

Dan---

Thanks for your responses. I was looking at your site and started browsing your power dist. units while I was there leading to 2 questions.

1. What is the difference between the raxess PD800 - Rackmount Power / lights - $89 and the PD800 - Rackmount Power Distribution - $69 .... is it just the light??

2. You also had the same Gator case I posted above, but it comes with a power dist. unit already installed. Are these a good unit/value? or would I be better off w/ the original case and the raxess unit?

thanks

• Members

Yes the difference is the Light (it's supposed to be a PD800L)

and the GRR4PLUS is really just one of the (non light) units that is put in the back of the rack - and it does not take up any spaces so you still have 4 spaces....but if you want the unit on the front with lights the the GRR4L with the PD800L is the way to go....

oh and if you end up ordering from us mention the forum (there is a forumite discount)

• Members

Cool! I definately mention the forum and I probably will be buying from you..... Down the road, I'm hoping to get some of those Yorkville Elites from you, but I'll have to save my pennys for a while for that.

:D

thanks again

Archived