Need Monitor Hanging Suggestion

• Members

I have a pair of Yamaha Club-series 12" speakers (S12 club series III or IV) that I want to hang over the stage as overhead choir monitors. I know they are not built with mounting attachments.

What is the simplest SAFE way to adapt these for hanging? Eye-bolts at certain places? Tie-strap harness? Wooden frame harness?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

• Members

Often, when hanging something that was not designed for hanging, I will fabricate hanging hardware with steel flat-bar. I will also evaluate the product's safety in such an application. I generally do not do this with particle board boxes, without some steel reinforcing, so as you can guess, I do ammost nothing with particle board products.

Disclaimer... I know what I am doing and have the education background to be able to prove that what I did is safe. I also carry heavy duty liability insurance with a product and completed apparatus rider.

Everything fine until something fails, then it gets ugly in a hurry.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Everything fine until something fails, then it gets ugly in a hurry.

Exactly! No one really cared that the construction of the KC Hyatt Regency Skybridges was screwed up until they came crashing down and squished a bunch of people. Remember, a falling speaker can easily kill someone.

D

• Members

With particle board cabs, 3/8" eye bolts with very large washers will eventually fail due to vibration. Count on it. And please don't even think about flying them by the handles!

The only way I'd trust flying them is to build angle- or flat- stock welded frames around both cabs and hang 'em from the frames with at least three fly points of 7x to 10x rated wire rope (with the proper fittings, redundant clamps and guides).

And ... will the roof take the additional weight? It's something that we in Buffalo, NY don't take for granted. Snow on a flat roof can seriously stress a building's roof!

Archived