rate my pa

• Members

Our band plays in bars and such usually with between 50-150 people. I was wandering what else you guys thought our pa needed.

1-yamaha emx20 mixer

2xJBL sf25

2xJBL mpro400 18's

4xyamaha club series 12" monitors

1xyamaha cp2000 for subs

1xpeavey pv1200 for mains

1xaudiocentron rma 1600 for 2 monitors

1xsoundtech pl500 for back monitors

2xdod compressors used for limiters and gates only

2xalesis 230 eq's mains and monitors

1x362 bbe

all sm58 vocal mics and sm57 guitar mics

triggers for drums with alesis dm-5

I would also like to hear what some of your pa's consist of.

• Members

To begin with I'd ditch the BBE and look at upgrading the Alesis eq's. I've owned the eq along with an Alesis 3630 comp/gate and was not impressed with either.

After that it's just a matter of making upgrades as you see fit or as money comes in. I can't comment on anything else in your rig as I haven't used any of it. Here's what I'm currently running. Playing bars from 30 to 300 ppl.

A&H Mixwiz 16:2 dx

3 PLX 3002's - One for tops - 2 for subs

1 PS2000 - Monitors

2 EAW FR253's - tops

2 Meyer 650 dual 18" - subs

2 Genz Benz custom design 12" montiors(en route)

2 Peavey HDH 244t - Side Fill/Drum monitors

Furman TX524 analog xover

DOD SR231 dual 31 band graphic eq - Tops/Subs

ART 31 band graphic eq - Monitors

2 DBX 266xl compressor/gates - used as needed

2 Alesis Quadraverbs

1 Alesis Microverb

18 Space rack - FOH

10 Space rack - Mon.

10 Space rack w/ slant top for mixer

2 Self built in/out panels

Assorted cables + duplicates just in case.

• Members

I would rate this as a typical MI grade weekend warrior PA system

what do you need......??

if thisworks for you ....then you need Nothing!

but if there are particular issues you have with this rig ...post those and we can tell what peice of gear is the weak link

(IE: alesis & dod eqs, BBE)

• Members

Originally posted by Audioeast

I would rate this as a typical MI grade weekend warrior PA system

what do you need......??

if thisworks for you ....then you need Nothing!

but if there are particular issues you have with this rig ...post those and we can tell what peice of gear is the weak link

(IE: alesis & dod eqs, BBE)

so what would you rate your #5 pa package on the audioeast website with the yorkville powered speakers, subs, and the A&H mixing board? Because this was recommended to me by someone else on here, and I'm telling you, I've got my eye on that now!

• Members

I don't rate the SF25's high, I can tell you that. IMO, one of the worst name brand cabs out there. Crappy components in a crappy box (even for MDF).

Since you are using subs (and Ok ones I might ad), You would have been better off spending your $800 bucks (assuming you bought new) on a single 15 or even 12 of better quality.

Actually, you are a perfect example of why I made the "Multi App Speaker" chart (see link in my signature). You have some decent gear for what you are doing, but if you ever upgrade the SF25 mains you have no use for them. Unless very lucky, you'll end up getting 1/2 of what you paid, or less, for them.

Smarter is to start with a decent mulit app box that can be used as mains now and monitors later when you upgrade. If something has to suffer initially, better the monitor quality than the FOH. Sure, you want to sound good to yourself, but in the grand scheme of things you NEED it sound good out front.

IMO, When doing the weekend warrior PA on a tight budget you need as much flexibility as you can get. IE - Joe quits the band and takes his speakers with him. A new guy joins the band and has some nice wedges, but they can't be pole mounted for mains - etc.

Also, a lot of manufacturers are figuring out mulit app boxes are more profitable as they don't have to build as many different models as in the past. Yorkville is a good example of a company that is moving to the "multi" box, even in some of their higher end $700 and up boxes.

• Members

Originally posted by Parallex

so what would you rate your #5 pa package on the audioeast website with the yorkville powered speakers, subs, and the A&H mixing board? Because this was recommended to me by someone else on here, and I'm telling you, I've got my eye on that now!

I would rate that as a proffessional small / high output / club / church / event / AV / - tri amped - well powered - processor controlled - Scaleable - yet still fits in a minivan system ----which is leaps and bounds over the system in the subject of this post......

I think it still requires a Decent EQ and some comp/gates

but really we cant find a better rig for the money.........

Archived