Leaving cords plugged in

• Members

Are there any detrimental effects to leaving cords plugged in when you're storing equipment? I assume there must be - seems like it would be bad for the springs, if nothing else - but I'd sure be happy to learn that I'm wrong; it would simplify setup quite a bit.

• Members

the only problem i can think of is if the gear isnt protected (e.g. inside a rack) - moving it around, there's a good chance somebody will bump into something, causing a connector to break off, leaving an obscenely ugly mess inside the jack.

otherwise, most people leave their stuff plugged in. especially stuff that doesnt need to be plugged and unplugged a lot - like inside a rack, or the board end of a multi-pin disconnect.

AS

• Members

One caveat which shouldn't apply to cstime; in a high moisture area like central Florida, the connections can oxidize over time, causing intermittent problems. I solve this by plugging and unplugging the connections once or twice every couple of months.

• Members

cstime,

As for the humidity up there, I lived and played in Minnesota for quite a long time, around Mankato. I know the summer gets a little humid there, but nothing compared to the mostly year 'round humidity here in central FL. I never had any problems with contact oxidation in almost 20 years of playing in MN, IA, WS, etc. even with leaving the gear in the band truck when not set up.

• Members

Originally posted by madjack

I know the summer gets a little humid there, but nothing compared to the mostly year 'round humidity here in central FL.

You don't know what sweat is until you've spent July and August in Florida. But it sure is nice today, high of 80, mostly sunny.

• Members

Wow. You guys must really put the "we" in "swelter" - Midwest humidity (1500 miles from the ocean - makes sense that it would be drier here) is plenty for me. I went backpacking in Montana last summer and I was freaked out at how quickly my shirt would dry when we'd stop. "What's this?" I'd think, "Wet shirts don't dry - they mildew!"

bassknave - You win. :rolleyes: It's been a long time since Latin. "If I can't change the heavens, I'll go to Hell" or something similar? Sounds like it's profound - certainly more so than my advice regarding "underwhere".

Semper gestate.... fructum telae?

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

While we're discussing magic foo-foo stuff: Does anybody have a suggestion for what to use as a lube on Socopex threads. Just running them dry: aluminum threads on aluminum threads is tough on everything as they gall, wear-out, cross thread, don't thread, etc... I've been using the same Ilsco De-ox termination goo... but is there something less messy that would work? Or something as messy that works better? Silicone spray? Graphite? Boot grease? Baby oil? Vodka? 90wt.? Vegemite? (I guess that's redundant since 90wt. and Vegemite is virtually the same thing, right?)

I have used Lubriplate, and silicon based white (style) greases, but all of that is a bit messy. I prefer messy to galled threads though!

• Members

My choice is vodka. After a couple of shots, you don't care that the threads are stripped. ;)

OTOH, a very messy alt for aluminum to aluminum is lithium (white) grease.

But WD40 can work wonders in the short term. Like contact/tuner cleaner: once you start, you can't stop using it.

Archived