Pick out my sound system components for me

• Members

Going along with some of the advice that i received on here in a different forum, I'm thinking about putting together my own sound system so I can do smaller gigs for hire, and of course it is always nice to have a nice sound sytem for your band. The price range for this is $5-6k.

Some questions I had were what's a good recommendation for wattage to shoot for with a system like this? I had a rough idea of about 1000W.......?

i was wanting some recommendations on a set of cab mains and possibly a sub. I have seen and heard good things on the Peavey MX2 (I *think* that's close, without checking off the top of my head) and IIRC those are running about 900 W program.

Mixing board--16 channel (preferrably 12-16 XLR, so would actually be more than 16 channel given 16 XLR most likely) I would highly assume it's nonpowered.

Monitors--drum monitor, and 2-3 up front. How easy is it to get by up front with 2? I'm trying to think back to personal experiences where I've performed with only two monitors up front and I've never had any problems, but then I'm a guitar player and not a singer.

Power amps--I would assume it's a good idea to have separate amp for monitors and mains? I would guess a QSC model appropriate for my needs...

Mics....probably two or three 58s and and 3-4 57s.....one question I had regarding the microphone situation is, for a system in the 5-6k range would you suggest going with a drum mic set too, to begin with? I was planning on it, but of course i wouldn't want to if the system would end up being too small to even call for drum mics. But given the event that I should get drum mics, what are some good drum mic recommendations out there that aren't extremely cheap but aren't horrendously priced either?

Mic stands--what have you found works best? the stands with tripod legs are cheaper and they fold up nicely and easily, however, they tend to be more clumsy, less stable, and take up more stage space (can't get them up close to some things) and can be pretty awkward. There's the stands with the heavy round base that you can butt up closer to stuff and they seem to be pretty sturdy and stable but they're awkward when it comes to storing and transporting. I know getting down to the mic stands seems pretty silly, but this is one of the parts of your system the band is interacting with the most, and furthermore they obviously are holding your mics, which are a fair investment, and we all know pretty damn well that mics are important when it comes to making your sound system a "sound" system.

Also, I see a lot of sound companies selling their (presumably older?) stuff and equipment they no longer have a use for? Do you recommend buying everything new to start with or do you see any problems in getting a used/retired board, maybe some mains, or a power amp, for instance, from a sound comany selling them as used?

I'd really appreciate some recommendations on all of the items I have listed here. I should note that I have some pretty good knowledge on the basics of sound systems, meaning there's a lot I know but there's a lot I don't know as well, and I'm always trying to learn stuff and figure stuff out, and I'm using this as a beginning to my research so i can know what to look for.

This system isn't anything I plan to do immediately...like I say, I am going to take my time doing research so I don't regret anything I've bought, and then I'd also like to work for some sound companies first before I get into my own stuff. I plan on this being a small side job/night job for extra cash/experience since a main job on a novice level with a large sound company doesn't pay too well.

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by Parallex

Going along with some of the advice that i received on here in a different forum, I'm thinking about putting together my own sound system so I can do smaller gigs for hire, and of course it is always nice to have a nice sound sytem for your band. The price range for this is $5-6k.

With monitors, stands, cases, cabling and rackage, $8-10k is more realistic.

Some questions I had were what's a good recommendation for wattage to shoot for with a system like this? I had a rough idea of about 1000W.......?

Power requirement is totally subjective. It depends on the number, efficiency and power handling of the cabinets you choose, desired SPL, type of music and size of venue.

i was wanting some recommendations on a set of cab mains and possibly a sub. I have seen and heard good things on the Peavey MX2 (I *think* that's close, without checking off the top of my head) and IIRC those are running about 900 W program.

Consider some of the variables I list above. As far as bang per buck, if I were buying new, I'd buy a pair 2" over 15" Yorkville Elites with a pair of dual 18 subs.

Mixing board--16 channel (preferrably 12-16 XLR, so would actually be more than 16 channel given 16 XLR most likely) I would highly assume it's nonpowered.

First choice in the bang for buck department--Peavey, followed by Spirit Live 4/2 or LX 7, rackmount Crest or an A & H GL2200. If you have a lotta money, go for a Midas compact.

Monitors--drum monitor, and 2-3 up front. How easy is it to get by up front with 2? I'm trying to think back to personal experiences where I've performed with only two monitors up front and I've never had any problems, but then I'm a guitar player and not a singer.

We use an old FOH cab & PV XR 694 mixer for drumfill. IMO, give each vocalist a wedge. Give the money channel vox his own mix, give the backing vocalist(s) a second, if possible.

We give our drummer and each vocalist (4) a separate mix. Don't feed instruments unless it's necessary (we fold back keys and flattop GTR--no stage amps that way). Learn to control stage volume.

Power amps--I would assume it's a good idea to have separate amp for monitors and mains? I would guess a QSC model appropriate for my needs...

Amp choices? QSC RMX is a good price point and decent sounding, but very heavy. Yorkville Audiopro are about 2/3 the weight and far better sounding, but they cost almost twice as much. Crest CPX is an excellent low-cost amp, and the Yamaha CP2000 is a good, lightweight choice it weighs only 22 lbs.

Mics....probably two or three 58s and and 3-4 57s.....one question I had regarding the microphone situation is, for a system in the 5-6k range would you suggest going with a drum mic set too, to begin with? I was planning on it, but of course i wouldn't want to if the system would end up being too small to even call for drum mics. But given the event that I should get drum mics, what are some good drum mic recommendations out there that aren't extremely cheap but aren't horrendously priced either?

You're way short on mics--We use four Audix OM series vox mics, 7 drum mics, four DIs and a line out (bass). I carry about a dozen or more SPARE mics beyond what I plan to use--some sound better on different vocalists--or different drums. Some vocalists sound better on SM58s; reedy voices work better on 57s. Sennheiser MD 421 is a great tom mic and excellent for Country (high & tight) kick. Old AKG D1000Es are to be priced above rubies as tom, instrument or vox mics.

As far as drum mics go--

Sennheiser e604 tom mics are cheap and have built in rim hooks--ditto the surprisingly good Rat Shack tom mic. The Sennheiser e602 is an excellent kick mic as is the Shure SM52, or the Beyer MD-X50II. The Mexican built Shure PG series drum mics are worth looking at, as are the Audix.

Mic stands--what have you found works best? the stands with tripod legs are cheaper and they fold up nicely and easily, however, they tend to be more clumsy, less stable, and take up more stage space (can't get them up close to some things) and can be pretty awkward. There's the stands with the heavy round base that you can butt up closer to stuff and they seem to be pretty sturdy and stable but they're awkward when it comes to storing and transporting. I know getting down to the mic stands seems pretty silly, but this is one of the parts of your system the band is interacting with the most, and furthermore they obviously are holding your mics, which are a fair investment, and we all know pretty damn well that mics are important when it comes to making your sound system a "sound" system.

Koenig und Meyer (K & M) tripods w/booms. There is no other. I started out with round-based Atlases, then I graduated to cheap tripods and used them as consumables, figuring on a year's life for a fifteen dollar stand. The last batch were violating the band's "no gaff tape" rule within six weeks. We bought K & Ms about a year ago, and haven't looked back. No scratches, no dents, no bad clutches (replacing an Atlas clutch is about as expensive as replacing the stand, but you still have to carry the clutches in case one fails at the venue).

Also, I see a lot of sound companies selling their (presumably older?) stuff and equipment they no longer have a use for? Do you recommend buying everything new to start with or do you see any problems in getting a used/retired board, maybe some mains, or a power amp, for instance, from a sound comany selling them as used?

If you are careful, you can do well buying some items used. If an amp is working, it is likely to continue to work. Pro speaker cabinets can be revitalized with driver recones or new diaphragms for compression drivers. Avoid heavy, older amps. Avoid huge old speaker cabs. A couple of years ago, I bought some Klipsch KP320A top boxes. Five years before I bought 'em, they retailed for eight bills a cab. The sound company that had 'em fitted 'em with flyware, so they could be flown from a truss at corporate shows. The flyware wasn't approved. They had to dump the boxes, or their insurance company was going to drop them. I bought four, paying $200.00 + $30 shipping a box, then got a deal on the roadcases. BTW these are 2"over 15", 32"high, 19" wide and weigh only 75 lbs--Baltic Birch boxes. They sound great. My subs are derived from JBL 4638 THX dual 15 theater subwoofers. JBL closed 'em out a couple of years ago in the wake of a fire in their custom shop. They listed for $1500 a copy. I got four for $216.60/ea delivered--tossed the boxes, designed and built new ones--4.7CF each (tiny-36x19.5x16.5 external--1200w PGM (yeah, right--with power compression, 800w is plenty). With the grilles, corners, handles, bedliner spray and the construction, I figure I'm out under $450.00 box. Small, cheap, efficient (Andy?)

IIWY, I would avoid a used board, unless I got a warranty. There's too much to go wrong. Get your cabling from Audiopile, here. Best prices

I'd really appreciate some recommendations on all of the items I have listed here. I should note that I have some pretty good knowledge on the basics of sound systems, meaning there's a lot I know but there's a lot I don't know as well, and I'm always trying to learn stuff and figure stuff out, and I'm using this as a beginning to my research so i can know what to look for.

Research, research, research--learn the inverse square rule, learn about polar plots, coverage, throw and all that stuff--check the "Guide for Goobers and the links provided. Also check out the Study Hall at
www.live-audio.com--and
then ask here. Andy, Mark, Terry and a few others will not steer you wrong.

This system isn't anything I plan to do immediately...like I say, I am going to take my time doing research so I don't regret anything I've bought, and then I'd also like to work for some sound companies first before I get into my own stuff. I plan on this being a small side job/night job for extra cash/experience since a main job on a novice level with a large sound company doesn't pay too well.

Remember, buy once, cry once.

Thanks!

No prob--HTH

Phil

• Members

http://www.audioeast.com/systems.htm

Check out package 5 from audioeast above. Mention to him you are from the HC forum and he'll take care of you. This system will do well in most small to mid-sized clubs. Then do all the things Bassknave said above. (K&M Stands, cables from Audiopile, etc.).

Monitors will probably run you over budget. Check out Community MVP's with QSC RMX amps.

• Members

+1 on the K&Ms. I have a pair of those stands with booms and tripods that are around 20 years old. (They were my dad's way back when). I use one to hold the back liftgate of my mom's van open when I load gear - really tough.

My band (4 piece) will use 12 mics easily.

7 drum mics

Kyle's mic (lead singer)

My two mics (I put one back farther and one up front because sometimes I do backups and sometimes I lead sing.

Two amp mics.

Yep - go with Community MVP - I've used both the 15'' and 12'' models, and I really prefer the 12'' for vocals/guitar monitoring. The 12''s will handle a bit of bass guitar too if you're not overzealous.

I use a JBL SF15 for a drum monitor - it's one of the pair that got soaked a while back. I braced EVERYTHING inside; cross braces etc and then put hurricane clips EVERYWHERE inside. It works alright.

• Members

i checked out the goober's thread and just printed off an ass ton of great reads.

I checked out AudioEast's #5 set too. Doesn't look to bad really.....never considered active speakers.....what are the pro's and cons of active speakers....i don't actually know a whole lot about them....

• Members

Just to add one amp to Bassknave's list, I'm pretty sure the Peavey PV Series is exactly the same amp as the Crest CPX, just in a different wrapper. I have a CPX1500 that works great and can recommend it as a good lower-cost amp, but the Peaveys are usually a few bucks cheaper.

D

• Members

me and bassknave often think alike.

I was going to say look at the yorkville stuff, bang for the buck in your area it will be hard to beat. a place called audioeast has it in the states, and one of the guys from there hangs here.

yorkville has a 18inch 1500 watts self powered sub, that wouold be right up your ally. the 80 Ithink.. you really do need to chech that one out.

Kevin Nemrava

• Members

Originally posted by bassknave

and the Yamaha CP2000 is a good, lightweight choice it weighs only 22 lbs.

Phil

Unfortunately, it does not weigh 22 lbs... if it did, my back would be much happier! Try about 36 lbs... though a Google search says it's only six pounds at about four out of five retailers!!

Archived