Speaker Placement

• Members

Hey guys,

I was sitting in front of the TV this morning and I started thinking. My yamaha clubs have 90 degree horns, and I remember you guys telling me they can't be arrayed because you'd get comb filtering and all that good stuff.

Now - how far apart should they be set up so you don't get overlap; or does it matter?

• Members

comb filtering comes from teh fact that sound has more then 1 path to get someware and the paths are different lengths, unless your running 1 speaker - outside, not near any buildings your going to have comb filtering.

to minimise comb filtering, you want the speakers as close to gether as possible. also the lobes should not be "shooting" at each other's areas.

are you asking about 2 er side, .. or 2 in total?

• Members

The generalization of not arraying 90 degree horns may not be terribly correct. Certainly there are some horns that do not react well in this application, but it's just as important to look at the polar energy distribution from the horn, and how smooth the polar frequency and phase response is.

There are some very good arrayable cabinets that have been built that have 90 degree horns, but the common characteristic among them is that their HF energy distribution patterns are very smooth and even density.

A 60 (or less) degree horn can have far more serious difficulties if the energy density pattern is irregular and when you sum the acoustical energy from the two sources, the irregularities create something unexpected.

I do not know where the Yamaha's fall into this, but it wouldn't hurt to try... and listen for uneveness across the horizontal plane.

Archived