Part Deux: PA for a smallish skating rink

• Members

Rink? Ring? Rink I guess... but it looks dumb.

Anyway -- the last "odd" show we had to play was an outdoor party. I rented a pair of what I believe were Yorkville Y150s... the place had no stands, so I took a pair of Peavey KB300 combo amps, faced 'em in towards the band, and stacked the Y150s on top... not the sturdiest thing, and it put the horns basically at ear level, but it actually worked pretty good considering that there weren't any people within a dozen feet of the speakers anyway. At first I only had vocals and a tiny bit of kick going through 'em, but later decided to add some guitar and bass as well... the end result wasn't perfect, but it was much better than I thought it'd be... and the pair of KB300s, although pointed at our ankles, worked amazingly well as monitors!

Now, I've got a bit of a tougher job -- the same guy wants us to play at a skating rink. Not a huge one or anything, we're out in the middle of nowhere here... but a small to medium sized building. I haven't been there, as a matter of fact I don't think I've *ever* been to one before. I'm considering hiring out to a sound company so that I can have someone else run sound... but I'm decent with the controls, and I think I might be able to pull this one off, too.

We're a loud band -- lots of bass, lots of guitar, lots of kick. I can rent pretty much anything Peavey from a local place, but they charge a fair amount more than the place I usually deal with. The other option, the place I typically deal with, offers me the following for speakers:

2 - Yorkville Y112 (1x12" + 1") $12

2 - Yorkville Y115 (1x15" + 1") $14

2 - Yorkville Y150 (1x15" + 1") $16

2 - Yorkville Y253 (2x15" + 1") $18

2 - Yorkville Y118S (?) (1x18" sub) $20

2 - Yorkville Y112M (1x12" + 1" monitor) $12

I've got an SM-58 for lead vocals, and I'll have to rent one for backup, along with stands. I have a Yamaha CP2000 poweramp, a Peavey 16-channel mixer, and a dual 31-band EQ. I have a compressor I could probably throw in, but I'd much prefer to keep it in my bass rig, as it is part of my "sound"!

I don't know if getting the pair of Y253's and Y118S's and the monitors would do the trick... if not, I'm gonna have to go with the more expensive place. If they would, I'd only be looking at an investment of about a hundred bucks for the speakers. The cheapest I can get someone to come out and run sound with a decent system is around $250... that's a significant difference. I can get drum mics for about $15 for the set, and guitar amp mics for another $5 for a pair. But I don't want to show up and be grossly underpowered for what we're aiming for here!

This is for a private party, and there will be about two hundred kids (age 16 to 23) present.

Any suggestions? I need to quote the guy a price within the next 24 hours, and I'm hesitant to do so without knowing what I'll be facing sound-wise.

• Members

Addendum: I can get someone to come out and run sound who has done this style music, with the following rig: (sorry for lack of details)

3 1500W QSC amps

2 2x18 cabs

2 15"+10"+1" cabs

3-way monitor mix (two up front, one for drums)

All vocal mics, DIs, drum mics, guitar cab mics included

Some form of 16+ channel mixer (I told him we required 15 channels, and he said that's no problem, so I assume it's 16 or more anyway!)

5 Par 64 cans-on-a-stick

I don't know what kind of cabs they are or anything, but I don't know too many cheap 2x18 sub manufacturers... it pretty much instantly rules out Behringer and the lowest-end JBL stuff. I'm gonna check out the rig at a show he's doing on Monday, and maybe this is the way to go. With only two subs, I might consider asking him if he'd be okay with me renting a couple of subs and adding them to his rig... unless that'd be complete overkill in the low-end area! I'd much rather have way too much PA in this situation than not enough PA the night of the show.

Plus, he's cheaper than I thought I'd be spending to have someone come out and run sound.

Hmm.

• Members

I've done a few ice rink installations suitable for higher level ice shows (high level playback) and there's definately some tricks.

It's all about directing the sound to the audience and keeping it off of the ice, dasher boards, glass etc. It's also easy to get too loud for the room.

Keep it intimate and you will be better off in the long run. Generally, there's not much absorption between about 500 and 5k.

Archived