Alesis 12R

• Members

I'm thinking about replacing my current mixer (Behringer MX2004A) with an Alesis 12R so that I can also replace my Raxxess rack with a smaller, lighter rack (probably an 8-space Gator, since I've read here that they're a better deal than SKB). My system is just a coffehouse/small clubs sort, and the Raxxess box seems to me to be far too heavy and unwieldly. I have a couple of questions:

1) The 12R has one pre-fader aux send (and one post-fader) but no master volume knob for that send. I suppose I could control monitor volume with the power amp, but I'd sure like to have a pre-amp volume control (esp. since often the power amps are onstage and the mixer isn't). Is there a widget that would work for this? Could I just use a headphone amp like this, or would that produce too strong an output? The owner's manual recommends using the pre-fader send for monitors, but they don't explain how to get any control over how loud those monitors are (or how to have a master volume control for them; I guess that's more what I'm looking for. Some way to shut off the signal to the power amp for the various times that's appropriate).

2) Is this a bad idea? Is the 12R considered to be a POS or otherwise unsuitable? I haev a friend who uses one for his home studio and the sound seems to be fine, and "fine" is really all the higher I'd rate the signal from my Behringer. I'd really like to switch to a more portable system. But if I'm overlooking some reason this is dumb, I'd appreciate a good old-fashioned dope slap.

Thanks! I'll stop posting so much and resume lurking and learning from you guys soon, I promise!

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

I have used this piece for lighter duty installations where I needed the channels, input gain control and eq, in a smaller package, but not a lot else. I have not had any failures, but I would be cautious about tossing it aroiund unprotected.

That's good to know (no failures). Did you use the aux send for monitors? Is it a problem that there's no master control for the aux send level, and if so is there an easy way to add one to the signal chain?

• Members

So in a stage setting if you were using this amp you'd just control monitor volume with the power amp volume adjusters? Seems like it would be nice to have a knob in the rack with the mixer/effects, but I certainly bow to greater experience.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

How many channels (XLR and/or 1/4")do you need?

Eight. We occasionally play with a full band, but we hire a rig for those shows. The MX2004A's eight real inputs have been entirely adequate.

• Members
Originally posted by cstime

Eight. We occasionally play with a full band, but we hire a rig for those shows. The MX2004A's eight real inputs have been entirely adequate.

So basically you want to get a mixer that takes up less space in a traditional vertical rack? Do you already have the rack? If not,why not get a rack that mounts the mixer vertically on top and has 2,4,or 6 spaces below,how ever many you need. If not,there are a couple other models of mixers that might work also. Carvin makes an unpowered version of its head shaped rackmountable mixer,probably 5-6 spaces high. Samson also made a rackmountable model that is about the same size.

• Members

So basically you want to get a mixer that takes up less space in a traditional vertical rack?

Not exactly. I have a Converta Raxx 6-space (this one, specifically) that I'm using now for the mixer and effects. It works fine, but it's a pretty unwieldly size; it's hard to get into my car and it seems to be just the right width to take off knuckle skin when I carry it through doors.

I'd like to retire it to the home studio - leave it set up to hold a mixer and some effects next to my computer - and use something like this instead. I'm already using a 6-space SKB for my power amps, and between the 12 spaces of the two racks there'd be plenty of room for my gear with 3 spaces left over for the 12R, and more importantly it would be a lot lighter and more portable (5" shorter would make a huge difference, I think).

I guess I could use the monitor outs instead of the aux sends, but it doesn't look like there's a way to make that mix any different from the FOH.

• Members

In that case,I would look into the Carvin or Samson mixers. They seem to have more features than the Alesis. And the Alesis only has bass/treble on the channel strip,if I remember correctly. A bit limited.

You do remember correctly. Thanks for the advice! I'm off to do some research on those mixers. You're talking about the Carvin PA1200R and the Samson MPL1204, right? Anyone have any recommendation 'twixt the two? Looks like they're both about the same price (and both about $100 more expensive than the Alesis 12R :( ) - $399 for the Carvin and $430 (AMS) for the Samson.

Archived