Let's hear it for the local salvage place

• Members

OK, occasionally buying stuff at salvage yards or pawn shops or whatever comes up now and then, as part of some other thread.

So what amazing deals have you gotten at such places lately?

I'll start:

Just today at the local Reuse Center (donated appliances, sporting goods, building materials, and electronics, run by the city) I picked up a couple pieces of test gear: A B&K 3010 Function Generator (nothing fancy, but better than my homemade unit) and a Sencor "Super Cricket" in-circuit transistor tester (sorely needed for all the weird old transistor combo organs I work on). Both units turn out to be working, total cost $5 + sales tax. Poking around for info on the web revealed that the Sencore unit goes for $250+ even used. :):):)

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

I have the B&K version of the super Cricket

I was looking at buying one of those. Actually when I was expecting it to be much more sophisticated than it really is... By now I would have expected a microprocessor to have replaced the big knob o' pin arrangements.

• Members

I really need to keep a closer eye on the University Surplus system. I watched a pair of giant old Klipschorns, in great shape, and with full anvil cases, go for a hundred bucks from Wisconsin Public Radio. They would've been mine if I'd had a way to get them home.

I'm still waiting for the University to junk out the floorstanding Otari reel to reel at the college radio station. With some small repairs, I could master my studio mixes with that puppy!

Ah, well. Sometimes you can find some great stuff. My personal best "find," I bought an Acoustic Research ES-1 turntable with a Linn tonearm out of a guy's basement for $35, and a working quad 1/4" reel to reel deck for another $35. The AR was good enough that I got the sickness...you know, audiophile fever...and recently replaced it with a JA Michell Gyrodec SE. The reel to reel is sitting in my studio.

• Members

Originally posted by Scodiddly

OK, occasionally buying stuff at salvage yards or pawn shops or whatever comes up now and then, as part of some other thread.

So what amazing deals have you gotten at such places lately?

I'll start:

Just today at the local Reuse Center (donated appliances, sporting goods, building materials, and electronics, run by the city) I picked up a couple pieces of test gear: A B&K 3010 Function Generator (nothing fancy, but better than my homemade unit) and a Sencor "Super Cricket" in-circuit transistor tester (sorely needed for all the weird old transistor combo organs I work on). Both units turn out to be working, total cost $5 + sales tax. Poking around for info on the web revealed that the Sencore unit goes for $250+ even used.
:):):)

yeah...i live in KC MO, and we have the Musician's Friend return/blem/damaged goods showroom here - talk about a friggin heap of junked electronic messes, this one takes the cake.

it just keeps coming and coming..more piles up every week..they had to build onto the place to make room.

Archived