the differences between monitors and mains

• Members

the question is not as dumb as it sounds based off the thread subject.

what is it about monitors that give them the properties of monitors that we all know about, and have come to love (or hate)? What is it about them that causes them to not feedback as bad as the Mains? i know there have to be some differences between the guts of the monitors and mains, otherwise people would be using small mains and monitors interchangeably (with the exception of drum monitors of course).

I have a small Peavey 150 W wedged main, the 112TCS. i just have one of them, it's the remnants of a small PA my band in highschool had years ago. (the speaker actually needs a speaker replaced because it was underpowered and clipped).

Basically my question is, is this something I can use as a spare monitor for any specific occassion? I've actually used these speakers as monitors before, but that may have been a bad thing, and I just happened to not have any bad things happen at the time.

The speaker is so small and weighs next to nothing, and has a nice little handle on the side so it carries so well.....if I can at least give it a good home as a spare or extra monitor or something i'd like to.

I like ultra specifics and jargon, so don't be afraid to use them. :)

• Members

There is no real difference between monitors and mains.

Main Speakers are designed to amplify sound out to your audience.

Monitors are designed to amplify sound to the musicians. Most often vocals and the lead melody instruments.

Manufactures have designed products that are tailored to one job or the other. For example; monitor speakers are typically shaped to angle uptowards the musican. Generally they aren't required to produce the low frequencies that you need in front house speakers (subs).

But fundamentally there is no real difference between a front house speaker and a monitor.

As for feedback. This is usually more likely to occur in the monitors rather than the mains. The most common cause is musicans playing too loud on stage. This causes a situation where the monitors must be turned up louder and louder to be heard over top of the musicians instruments. This greatly increases the chances of feedback.

Hope this helps some...

There is a good sticky link at the top that may have some more background for you.

As for yours specific question - I'm afraid I will have to leave that to others more knowledgeable than me :)

Cheers

RUs

• Members

The difference between a speaker and monitor are basically nothing.

The difference between a speaker and a GOOD monitor is really significant.

A good monitor is very smooth sounding (flat frequency response and no peakiness in the response). They will probably not want to have a really extended low frequency response, compact size with appropriate geometry (box and dispersion pattern). There are monitors that look like mains (side fills) but generally have smooth response.

For rock/metal/thrash etc, the side fills monitor box may be the same as a main cabinet but the volumes from stage will be so high that smooth response is not as important as overall volume. I'm talking about 125dB+ stage levels!

Dos this help or make things more confusing.

• Members

yeah that helps and quiets my suspicions. I suspected very little difference in mains and monitors. Mainly because i've used mains as monitors before, and thus, I concur it won't hurt to continue using my little peavey as one still. the peavey is wedged so it faces up at you when it's layed on its side.

About the sidefills.....if you have two good sidefills is that a good subsitute for someone starting a small to medium sized sound system (about 3600W) to use for awhile until they can get more monitors later? or is the extra cost of such large speakers for sidefills amount to the cost of three or four not-cheap-but-not-top-of-the-line monitors?

• Members

I would say it depends on your price point. In most lower priced lines,they seem to use the same components either way. So box size would probably account for the only difference in response. But when you start spending some money,I assume some of that money spent was spent on actually designing components specifically for the intended purpose. They have to do R&D for both cabinets instead of just one. Just a thought.

• Members

Originally posted by Parallex

About the sidefills.....if you have two good sidefills is that a good subsitute for someone starting a small to medium sized sound system (about 3600W) to use for awhile until they can get more monitors later? or is the extra cost of such large speakers for sidefills amount to the cost of three or four not-cheap-but-not-top-of-the-line monitors?

For some bands, sidefills only can be a good workable solution... depends on how well you can compromise with what's in your mix, and the relative volumes for the guys closer to the sidefills.

Archived