Reconing JBL 2240's $109?

• Members

Is $109 a good price for reconing them with aftermarket parts? This is from Midwest Speaker Repair in St.Paul,a very respected reconer and a shop that I trust to use good quality parts. I would have about $200/each in total cost for the reconed woofer. Are there better places for spending that amount? Perhaps wait to find some 2241's that need reconing?

• Members
Originally posted by Audioeast

Ya thats pretty standard

RCF and JBL recones are "RE-STUPID" (thats a combination of studid and retarded.....hehe)

JBL's new driver prices are F'N RE-STUPID $500+ for a 600w 18" driver WTF

LOVE B&C.......

Do you have any 18"s lying around that I could get reconed as 4 ohm drivers?

• Members

That's pretty much typical, but be sure that they use edge wound coils as both are available aftermarket. There is a big difference on those drivers using edgewounds.

I have a kit that I use that I have found to be better than the original JBL kits, I started them about 10 years ago and I have reconed probably 100 of those drivers with zero problems. It's important to realize that most recone failures are due to {censored}ty workmanship rather than defective parts. I am meticuluous about workmanship since i sure don't want to eat a recone under my warranty!

• Members

Originally posted by fossil

pssst..... ask Andy what he would charge you to do it with his "better than original" kit. betcha it would be money well spent
:D

The problem is that shipping heavy 18" cast frames around is expensive. To be cost effective, recones just about have to be done somewhat locally.

• Members

Originally posted by Kennykeys

The problem is that shipping heavy 18" cast frames around is expensive. To be cost effective, recones just about have to be done somewhat locally.

True, but I was 90% joking. Sometimes you can get decent rates for shipping. I have shipped from PA to Miami, FL for $100 per pallet and PA to CA for $200/pallet. Of course I have a loading dock/shipping department available to me which makes things easier. If you were to need enough drivers reconed shipping might be minimal/driver.

Archived