got a PA system

• Members

Finally got a PA my band will use for practice. It is used but in excellent working condition. Cost me $500.

Studiomaster Diamond 8-2 mixer

Alesys Microverb-III

Alesys EQ

Crown Power Base - 1 amp

all mounted on a rack, and wired; also got speaker wires.

Now, have to choose speakers...

NS

• Members

Originally posted by fossil

Power amp specs and your budget? For vocals only at practice? If more than vocals what instrument(s) through PA?

Acoustic guitar, 2 vocals, keyboards, electronic drums, and maybe bass will go through the PA. I think 2x200watt that this amp produces is enough for now.

NS

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

At what impedance?

Stereo mode (both channels driven):

240 watts into 4 ohms.

200 watts into 8 ohms.

Bridge-Mono mode:

455 watts into 8 ohms.

395 watts into 16 ohms.

Parallel-Mono mode:

455 watts into 2 ohms.

400 watts into 4 ohms.

• Members

If those EV's dont work out you might also consider the Yamaha S115IV's that are on closeout for $229ish each. I would suggest the SM115IV model as they can be used as either monitor or FOH and offer more flexibility as well as being able to be used if your system grows.

Looks like your budget will allow for a pair of entry level 15" speakers. Normally with Electronic Drums and Bass going through the PA you would ideally use subs. As you said though this is just for practice. Keep the levels reasonable and it should be good enough for practice. Dont try to squeeze every last drop of volume or get a lot of bass out of the system. Your just not going to get a lot of bass response from a pair of entry level 15" speakers. If you could amplify the drums, Bass and guitar on their own that would be the best choice. Then i would say go for a pair of 12" monitors.

Someone has also suggested the (I think) American Audio 15" speakers, cant remember the model number. Try a search for "Yamaha club" or "Yamaha S115IV" and you should come up with a decent list of 1x15" speakers in your price range.

• Members

If those EV's dont work out you might also consider the Yamaha S115IV's that are on closeout for $229ish each. I would suggest the SM115IV model as they can be used as either monitor or FOH and offer more flexibility as well as being able to be used if your system grows.

Looks like your budget will allow for a pair of entry level 15" speakers. Normally with Electronic Drums and Bass going through the PA you would ideally use subs. As you said though this is just for practice. Keep the levels reasonable and it should be good enough for practice. Dont try to squeeze every last drop of volume or get a lot of bass out of the system. Your just not going to get a lot of bass response from a pair of entry level 15" speakers. If you could amplify the drums, Bass and guitar on their own that would be the best choice. Then i would say go for a pair of 12" monitors.

Someone has also suggested the (I think) American Audio 15" speakers, cant remember the model number. Try a search for "Yamaha club" or "Yamaha S115IV" and you should come up with a decent list of 1x15" speakers in your price range.

APX152 is the American Audio model number. Very decent speakers for under $200.

• Members

If those EV's dont work out you might also consider the Yamaha S115IV's that are on closeout for $229ish each.

Looks like your budget will allow for a pair of entry level 15" speakers. Normally with Electronic Drums and Bass going through the PA you would ideally use subs.

Someone has also suggested the (I think) American Audio 15" speakers, cant remember the model number.

Thanks for your advise! Will check these. I don't think I'll need a lot of bass for the garage :)

BTW, when I buy used speakers, what are the signs of a weak/abused speaker? Should I look for the cracks in the speaker cones, or specific sounds that would indicate that the voice coil or other parts are bad?

NS

• Members

BTW, when I buy used speakers, what are the signs of a weak/abused speaker? Should I look for the cracks in the speaker cones, or specific sounds that would indicate that the voice coil or other parts are bad?

Someone else may have a more scientific answer, but all I can really do is state the the obvious: Use your eyes, ears, and brain.

Look at them -- As you mentioned, cracks or tears in speaker cones and surrounds are on obvious no-no's. Are the cabinets beat to hell? If so, they've seen a lot of heavy use, or have a careless owner.

Listen to them -- Do they sound good with a piece of music you are familiar with? Are they loud enough? Is there any audible distortion (a swept sine wave can help here). Voice coil rub?

Talk to the seller. -- Find out if they driven hard their whole lives, or just taken out by granny on Sundays. Have they been altered in any way? Do you know or trust him/her?

Do some research -- Are speaker recone kits available? Replacement compression diaphragms?

Basically, just do all the same things you, an intelligent buyer, would do for any major purchase of used merchandise.

Is this for those EVs?

--Sean

• Members

Originally posted by soul-x

Is this for those EVs?

--Sean

Yep, that's for EVs. How much the re-coning would run for the 15", approximately?

I saw few different 15" in the specs, are these more or less the same?

NS

Peaveys:

Sheffield

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Ev's recones can vary from about $85.00 to $140.00 depending on the series of driver used and the size. The EVX is the most expensive, the EVM the least, with the DL somewhere in between. These are for recones using factory parts.

That's not too bad.

NS

• Members

Originally posted by soul-x

No Surrender, I see you're in the bay area. How about these?

If they're in decent shape, it's a pretty god deal.

--Sean

Hey, Sean.

I went to Oakland today (took a 2 hour lunch) and got these EVs. They sound awesome- very clear sound and lots of power; enough bass, good clear mids and highs. Good clean speakers. Hope they're gonna last...

Thanks for posting this link!

NS

Archived