Securing a good gig AND song I want you to hear, critique

• Members

hey guys-

So, I have been playing around in open mics, for the last couple months, and have been very well recieved. I have been trying to make the jump from these open mics to other "real gigs."

First of all, what are the best methods of obtaining one of these. Would I, for example, play enough open mics at a bar till I have the stature to ask for an actual time slot during non-open mic hours.

Or would I send a package of my material to a bar owner, and see if he responds. If you want to hear some of my stuff, go to www.geocities.com/micktunes2000 Don't listen to Franny's Song...its not too good. What would be in that package?

Furthermore, If I want to get serious about this kind of stuff, is it easier to create a band or back-up band to have a more full, often more satisfying sound.

So thanks...Peace out.....oh and any advice on assuring that bush won't be reelected again would be nice:D

One last thing....one thing that also might count against me is my age...15...I'm not sure of the policies of bars of hiring people my age, despite how good they are (or not) you can decide.

• Members

Hey,

I'm in Columbus too. Not sure how you're gonna get to play around here in bars. As far as I know, under 21 is no dice. I've never seen a kid in a club while we've played. Most have signs on the door that say "over 21 only" or after ___PM over 21 (at restaurant/bars. There are a couple 18 and over nights at a few places (Whiskey Dick's), but nothing for 15 year olds.

What open mics have you been going to?

Songs are interesting, not real main stream though. Most orignal band bars are "pay to play" and you make your money back on the door, AFTER you've made enough to pay for the PA you have to rent from most of them. I'm sure it's the same just about everywhere, but original is largely a loser moneywise. I'm in a sellout cover band locallly, but we make decent money and have a great crowds.

• Members

I say this.......follow your dreams, kid. Your skills will get better. Someone's gotta geta deal sometime and there are alot of different kinds of music out there but know that the odds are against you from the start. There are millions of musicians out there. Most don't even geta shot but do what you love and it won't matter if you never get a deal. At least you'll be happy.

• Members

Hey guys-

Thank's for listening and responding....I appreciate it.

Actually, I really don't have a big interest in getting a deal with a large record deal. I've felt that recently the quality of material coming out of these big companies has been so poor..

Unless you're a group like REM who has managed to keep their own distinctive sound throuout their two plus decades of existence.

It seems to me that if an artist wants a serious chance to get a record deal and at the same time mantain their own sound instead of having a "canned" sound, one must go the indie route.

Eventually, if you're good enough, maybe have some money, one can still gain nation-wide fame, if thats what you really want...

Anyway, if anyone has any more ideas of how I could make the big "jump" just keep on responding. Thanks.

-Malachi

• Members

To answer the question of my fellow columbian-(what was up with that hail storm a couple days ago)...

Actually there is an appropriately named bar, the High Five Bar, on fifth and high street, which has a policy of no alchohol on weekends till I believe nine.

But, akin to concerts, can't they just stamp your hand or something to avoid one from purchasing alchohol...hmm.

When George Harrison was playing the club scene in Hamburg with the rest of the beatles in 1962, he was 19--too bad he got deported...not too encouraging.

Oh and just an idea to throw out there:

There are obviously great limitations to the sound of a guitar, especially an acoustic. So, after a couple hundred years, when the same chord progressions have been played over and over again by the same sounding instruments...Obviously these things can't last forever.

So what is the new frontier in music?

Is it delving into the world of computers to make music? (one that I am not too comfortable with yet)

Is it a fusion of many musical forms to date? (actually we have that now, kind of)

Pretty intruiging questions here.....

Oh, I'm also stuck in a kind of a rut songwriting wise. Most of them just kind of suck.:confused:

Ok, well thanks in advance guys

-Malachi

• Members

I played my first paying solo gig at 16. This was in a restaurant that had a bar area. I did those types of gigs for a few years, playing covers. You need to decide some things:

-Is it your primary interest to make money gigging?

If so, then you need to treat it as a business. Meaning learning the songs for whatever group you are trying to sell yourself to, promoting yourself so your employer will make more money and have more patrons the night you play, etc.

Open mike is pretty simple in comparison to a real gig, in that there is more expected of you.

-Are you willing to be a solo act, or do you want to take the band route?

You can of course do both but at 15 you may want to focus on one or the other.

If you are thinking solo, you should know the basic songs people want to hear (brown eyed girl, margaritaville for me in Florida) Go check out others in the area who are doing it successfully to get ideas.

A band will take alot more work initially, but the satisfaction can be great.

I live in south Florida, and decided at a young age that solo gigging for me was going to be a way of making money, so I looked in the paper and would see what places had solo acts, go check it out while there was a musician there, take notes on what worked for that musician and songs that I should add, and then decide if I could play that place and do a good job.I still do this.

You are 15 so you have plenty of time to do this, get a real good act together, and in a year or so (at least you'll be able to drive!) find a place that you can play that will let you play there.

check me out:

http://www.vinnyjacobs.com

• Members

At this point, I think that making money is not really a realistic goal.

I do want, however, to gain the kind of experience so that I can begin to make money, if I choose to do so.

However, I would rather focus on the music and performances themselves then promoting myself, selling tickets, and that kind of stuff.

If that's necessary though, I guess I'll have to do it.

My goal here is to get myself to a point where my performances are in the "excellent" range every time I perform, and when I am confident enough in my abilities that I can really relax as I play.

By the way, If I don't have a band, would you recommend that I use a sampler of some kind, to provide drums, a bass, or another guitar, or is it not necessary.

Currently I'm playing a mix of my own stuff and covers, although mostly covers. I do some oldies, like a rare beatles, some Paul Simon with and without garfunkel, Leonard Cohen, then I get into some more modern stuff with indie bands like belle and sebastian, Moxy Fruvous, and then some REM, just because they are sweet.

Well, thanks in advance, lets keep the discussion going.

-Malachi

• Members

Hi,

The tunes are a bit rough. I would suggest a few things:

-voice lessons (or join a choir or some group where you can get some practice)

-work on your timing. playing with a metronome can help.

That said, you have a good sense of melody and harmony. I agree with Tommy Tune, it can only get better. Thinking about what I recorded at 15, well, I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep playing music and exploring different things.

If you're good at the guitar, you might consider putting together a set of your own tunes and some folk or pop covers and trying to get coffeshop gigs.

-Ben

• Members

By the way, If I don't have a band, would you recommend that I use a sampler of some kind, to provide drums, a bass, or another guitar, or is it not necessary.

I would lean against tracks, or anything too fancy. If anything it may take away from your music. How about using a drum machine? The Boss DR-670 sounds great and it is real easy to make your own loops.

Others may disagree, but less is more in my opinion when you are trying to emphasize your musicianship, and it's not so much about the money.

I think the best thing for you to do in this stage is find a spot where people your age can, or do hang out and ask to be able to set up and play maybe two hours or so. Do it once a week and get your friends in on it. See how it goes, and in the meantime you will hone your skills while having some fun!

Either way, I wish you luck..:)

• Members

Thanks for your advice.

Listening back to these songs, I am appalled by the awful timing errors, so you were definitely right about that.

Considering I was once considered I was once somewhat a "prodigy" on the violin that should not be happening. Anyway thanks for letting me know about that, I know what to work on...

I guess if I was working with a drum machine of a sampler, those same timing issues would apply... As my yiddish great grandmother would say: "Oy Guttenyu"

Anyway, I think my voice will probably improve a little as time goes on, as I sung all of those songs out of my range at the time, probably because at that point my range consisted of about 3 notes. Hehe...Man this time of my life sucks sometimes.

Oh, Franny's Song was the first song I ever recorded...I had just turned 14.

Of course, not to make excuses or anything....

Anyway, I appreciate you guys and this entire forum so much...nothing like a good, honest unbiased opinion.

-Malachi

• Members

wait, you're 15? are you singing on that? it sounds like you're 30 or something. For being 15 that's very good. interesting drum beat and the lofi (though it was prob unintentional) sound goes good with what you're doing. REALLy wet with reverb though, i literally had to dry myself off when i was done. dunno how much you can change, but while reverb is a nice effect, it's sometimes better when it's not obvious that you're beefing up the sound with reverb. the reverb is quite obvious here, maybe back it down *just* a hair.

• Members

Thank so much Parallex!:D Thats the first positive really positive feedback I've had here in a little while....

Not to say the the more critical stuff wasn't deserved or anything. They're absolutely right from pretty much every perspective.

Now here is the problem:

My guitar teacher's g4 mac with logic and preamp were all stolen, so I've lost my ability to change any of these songs in their original format. :(

Actually this is a good story..

Before using logic, my previous recording experience was using cakewalk home edition on my computer, with the mic and guitar plugged directly into the soundcard. (the cakewalk was admittedly a steal at 35 bucks.) So my teacher, whose studio was in a separate room from his teachig area just told me to come in whenever I felt like it and record, without teaching me how to use it or anything.

So my first scomplicated. I have read elsewhere here that the program is for "nerds."ession I spent in utter confusion...the program is

My second session was spent in semi confusion.

Finally, on the third, I recorded most of Franny's song, probably why it is so weak.

Anyway, with his computer stolen, I am once again left with only cakewalk...

Any suggestions on how to get back to high quality recoding till my guitar teacher gets the new g5?:D

I'm getting a job this summer, and will probalby earn between 800 and 1200 dollars...anything in that price range, including mics and stuff?

-thanks guys

-Malachi

• Members

hello columbusians....I'm from there too. My home is currently in cincy, but I sleep on my friends couch in cbus on the weekends.

As for under 21 in columbus it is doable!

Campus bars will let under-agers play. I was at scarlet and grey cafe 2 months ago, and one of the guitar players hit on a friend of mine by saying "I'd hit on you if I weren't in high school". And he wasn't kidding.

You're stuff would do well at acoustic open mikes. I think it's hularious. I would pack up the acoustic guitars and a hand drum and play bw'3's on campus on a wednesday night. You'll meet people at this gig that will know of other places to play. The guy who runs the open mic is cool and he'll pay you to headline if he likes and you've showed up enough.

The best thing for starting out is to bring lots of friends. Preferable friends that buy beer.

• Members

Hey everyone-

Thanks again for you input...

I've been playing at a place called victorians midnight cafe, open mics that is.

I was wondering what the best way to approach the store manager in asking for a separate gig away from the open mics. To succeed in this proposition, is, as I've been told by other customers, rare.

And furthermore, I think it is more difficult for a manager to take a solo dude playing than a full band..not sure why.

It is true, that because of the band's bigger, more varied sound, the effect on the listener has the potential to be greater, at least that has been my experience.

On the other hand, tell that to Ben Folds or Paul Simon.

That's why I was pondering the use of samplers, although as Vinny told me, not to get it too complex.

Or I guess I could piece together a kind of rag-tag group of people...

One thing I hate doing, though, is teaching people how to play their f$#%^ng instruments.

thanks,

-Malachi

Oh and about the Buffallo Wild Wings thing-

Although I may have friends who drink heavily, non of it is legal...yet. (I'm not too into alchohol myself.)

Thats why coffeeshops may be a better idea, although bars can be a lot larger than coffeshops. Although at this point, maybe catering to large crowds isn't such a great idea anyway.

Archived