Eq question 15 band vs 31 band

• Members

How much better is a 31 band eq that a 15 band? I just bought a Peavey FX 215Q with FLS and I was wondering if I didn't make a mistake by not getting the 231. I got it used, so I probably wouldn't loose much, if anything by selling it. It will mostly be used on monitors at our rehearsal space but might also get used on some performances. Any advice?

• Members
Originally posted by catphish

How much better is a 31 band eq that a 15 band? I just bought a Peavey FX 215Q with FLS and I was wondering if I didn't make a mistake by not getting the 231. I got it used, so I probably wouldn't loose much, if anything by selling it. It will mostly be used on monitors at our rehearsal space but might also get used on some performances. Any advice?

I use a Dual 15 band FLS for monitors. Obviously,for feedback issues,the more bands the better. With 31 bands,if you have feedback in a certain spot,you can get rid of it without taking as large of a slice out of the overall sound. But a 15 band will be far,far better than not having any EQ on the monitors.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

The better (flatter response) your system, the LESS important your eq is!

Could you explain a little more? My system is a Mackie mixer->Peavey deal 15 EQ (coming soon)-> Crown XLS602 Amp-> two Yorkie 15" speakers as monitors.

What do you mean by flat? How can I get a more flat response. I'm very new to this stuff so keep it simple for me.

• Members

Generally, in this context, flat means that the frequency response (graph) doesn't have any huge peaks or valleys in it. Peaks in the response will obviously feed back easier, and valleys will need to be compensated for if they're noticeable enough. This is where an EQ comes in. A 15 band (2/3 octave) EQ's faders affect a wider frequency range than a 31 band (1/3 octave), so while they can be just as effective on feedback, it comes at the cost of more program material being sucked out of your sound than if you had used narrower filters, which is generally regarded as an undesirable result. 15 band EQ's are more suited to FOH duties, because you can use them to "shape" the sound with less fader movement than a 31 band, which are more useful for precise changes.

That said, any EQ is better than no EQ. Well, that is if it's a decent unit.

With a good system, properly set up, you generally won't need to change much on an EQ (although that always depends). And if you do, always cut, there is no reason to boost a frequency (in almost all cases), when working with monitors. If you find yourself cutting a specific frequency more than about 6dB, it's time to reconsider the placement of the speakers and mics in relation to each other.

• Members

Well, I bought the Peavey FX 215Q w/ FLS from praise I read in hear, so hopefully it's a good unit. It's a dual band, so in theory it will be controlling our monitors, and the FOH. I suppose eventually I can get a 31 band without any feedback control for tweaking, but use the Peavey as a tool to locate the feedback. And it will only be used for an occasional show anyway, mostly rehearsal.

Archived