What is so bad about Crate??

• Members

I hear Crate guitar amps get bashed all the time and their pro audio stuff doesn't fare well either.

I have one of those Crate 900 something powered mixers that I got used pretty cheap. Now, to preface, we basically just use it in our rehearsal spot for jamming and might take it out for a small sized venue. I wouldn't take it out if we were playing anything halfway large that needed more power.

I does a pretty good job for what I use it for. Question is why does Crate stuff have such a bad rap?? Are there serious reliability issues or is it just not high end enough for serious gigging. It has been doing fine for about 2 years with no problems.

• Members

I'm guessing that story is apocryphal, since we all know that sound guys use a chain motor hung from Thomas truss to swap motors. ;)

Crate stuff just isn't especially reliable. It's better than the current crop of Kustom product, though. Actually I've generally been impressed with the sound of the Crate amps I've tried out, but they have a reputation of not lasting very long.

• Members

The VC5115R is a fat ass sounding guitar amp. I don't have one nor did I ever but I have heard a few guys use them and I was very impressed by the sound. As for sound gear.........run away............ as fast as your legs will carry you. :eek: Mark, I commend your patience. It seems to me that the guy at Harbor Freight would have needed a boot removal tool if I had gone back the 3rd time. Do they sell them there? God knows they have everything else. ;)

• Members

Some of the Crate guitar amps sound killer. I had a Vintage Club 20 that was great. In fact all the Vintage Club models sound nice,as do the newer V-Series. And the Blue Voodoo models weren't too bad. As for their sound stuff,it seems that it is very spotty. I've owned a few Audio Centron pieces(Crate's PA line until a couple of years ago,when they started making all of it with the Crate nameplate) One of the best power amps I've ever owned was an A/C RMA1601. Maybe I was lucky but I punished that thing for about six years,usually at 2 ohms per channel,without so much as a hiccup. I also have a 1/3 space A/C parametric EQ and a 1/3 space effects processor and they both have worked just fine. And I have a little 9 channel mixer(6 + 3)that has built-in effects and it works great and the effects aren't bad. I use it for acoustic solo and duo stuff. The one bad thing about it,though,are the cheap-assed plastic XLR jacks. The middle of them likes to pull loose and come out. That said,I've seen a lot of dead Crate powered mixers around the area,and some other stuff that looks pretty junky.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Some of the Crate guitar amps sound killer. I had a Vintage Club 20 that was great. In fact all the Vintage Club models sound nice,as do the newer V-Series. And the Blue Voodoo models weren't too bad. As for their sound stuff,it seems that it is very spotty. I've owned a few Audio Centron pieces(Crate's PA line until a couple of years ago,when they started making all of it with the Crate nameplate) One of the best power amps I've ever owned was an A/C RMA1601. Maybe I was lucky but I punished that thing for about six years,usually at 2 ohms per channel,without so much as a hiccup. I also have a 1/3 space A/C parametric EQ and a 1/3 space effects processor and they both have worked just fine. And I have a little 9 channel mixer(6 + 3)that has built-in effects and it works great and the effects aren't bad. I use it for acoustic solo and duo stuff. The one bad thing about it,though,are the cheap-assed plastic XLR jacks. The middle of them likes to pull loose and come out. That said,I've seen a lot of dead Crate powered mixers around the area,and some other stuff that looks pretty junky.

Yes the VC amps are awesome! but PA...is for garage bands and really low budget churches/schools

• Members

Crate acoustic amp 125d=very nice 3 channel amp for small acoustic gigs.

I used to teach guitar at a mom and pop store that dealt alot with Crate including the pa stuff. Not the bottom of the barrell, but pretty low end. For solo's and duos in a small setting their powered mixers would be fine, but from my exp. trying to get some real juice out of them produces less than stellar, even harsh results.

That said, their guitar and bass amps are decent to my ears.

• Members

So I guess it's reliability then, is it??:eek:

No worries, I knew going in it wasn't high end and couldn't pass up the deal. Hopefully I get lucky and it stays healthy; like I said, not getting used for much more than a rehearsal PA anyway.

Thanks for the input!

• Members

There's nothing wrong with Crate in my book. They're right in the middle of the pack when it comes to MI grade gear, which is fine since there's a niche to be filled. I don't like their bass amps, but some of their guitar amp designs as of late have been decent (to my ears). Their powered mixers and pro audio stuff is pretty average too.

• Members

Mark, almost all states (per the UCC), have an "implied warranty of fitness for a particular use" which a vendor cannot abrogate. Presuming that you did not exceed the weight rating of the cherry picker, they should have replaced it gratis. They could probably also be held liable for all of the damages arising from the failure of their product to perform to a reasonable standard. If you have a friendly lawyer, you might want him to send those folks a friendly letter requesting reimbursement for your expenditures, mileage, and your wasted time.

I am not "litigation-happy" but I AM sick of companies selling crap, and then refusing to do the right thing. I think if more people stood up to them, eventually, they might get the message - or go out of business....

• Members

What is a cherry picker?

Around here they are large crane type things with an enclosed platform with which you can get to the top of telegraph poles in for wiring and stuff (or conceivably cherry trees). And they definately wouldn't fit in a car or be man transportable.

You probably could use them to take an engine out but it isn't what they are made for.

Probably completely of the mark on what you're talking about here.

• Members

Originally posted by moody

What is a cherry picker?

Around here they are large crane type things with an enclosed platform with which you can get to the top of telegraph poles in for wiring and stuff (or conceivably cherry trees). And they definately wouldn't fit in a car or be man transportable.

You probably could use them to take an engine out but it isn't what they are made for.

Probably completely of the mark on what you're talking about here.

Yeah, that's what we call cherry pickers, too. It must be a left coast thing to refer to engine lifts as cherry pickers. :)

If the manufacture represents the product to be something it isn't.... well, that's a different story; however, that wasn't the case concerning the Harbor Freight cherry picker (as far as I'm concerned).

I realize this isn't the topic, and I guess it's good that you learned a lesson, but I would have learned my lesson and also taken Love_LP's advice and taught the vendor one, too. If the manufacturer claims that the deivce will lift an engine of a particular size/weight, and it consistently fails under normal operation, then IMO, they did misrepresent the product.

-Dan.

• Members

Ps,

The guitarist in our band sounds better through an old 2x12 solid state crate amp than through his brand new marshall TSL half stack...

And the marshall has already had to have the footswitch sent out for repairs (he's only had it 3 weeks).

• Members

I guess that shows that not everything that seems better is better. Maybe Vintage is better...or maybe he's not used to the new amp yet, I don't know. It also might not fit his guitar as well as the Crate did.

And just to confuse things even more, we also call Genie lifts cherry pickers on occasion.

And a friend told me a guy I know tapped one chick's three virgin holes last week. I could call him a cherry picker too, I guess. Lucky bastard...

• Members

Of course, if you could find an attorney to take the case (doubtful...not enough money on the line), you might find one who would take payment out of the settlement. This is pretty common if you've been injured...not necessarily the case with something like this.

On the other hand, if I were the defense attorney, I can tell you that you're already screwed. You admit that couldn't get the included hardware to work, and couldn't figure out a way to make the holes line up properly. So instead of using the factory stock setup, you bought different bolts and drilled your own holes, thereby modifying the design and voiding the warranty (I know, I know...I'm just playing the part of the corporate lawyer here..sheesh :D ). Sooooo, Mr. Fixit, who's really at fault here, hmmm? The fine, reputable company who've NEVER had a complaint before this, or perhaps you...the guy who ADMITS to tampering with the proven design, using non-standard bolts, and drilling holes all willy-nilly through our finely designed machine?!? Perhaps YOU, sir, should be on trial here!!! You're TOTAL DISREGARD for safety endangered not only yourself and your personal property, but COULD HAVE endangered thousands!!! What if some small unsuspecting handicapped child had decided to use YOUR cherry picker to fix the van at the Orphanage?!? Not only could little Billy been KILLED in his wheelchair...poor kid never had a chance..sniff sniff...but you could have DESTROYED the only vehicle available to the orphanage, and kept them from attending their one happy time every year when they drive to the park for a picnic!!! You should be ashamed, sir....

Pretty good, eh? ;)

Yeah, I think chalking this one up to the lessons leaned department is the way to go.

• Members

Now you're really in for it. Metal shavings with paint on 'em?!? Better leave the country while you've got a chance. Somebody could get those (no doubt lead) paint incrusted shavings, jam them in their eyes (tell me you wear your eye protection 24-7) and not only blind themselves but also give themselves lead poisoning.

Looks like we're just going to have to declare your shop a superfund site, and close it down. The hazmat team is on the way. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Never rented gear to a wedding before...seen too many "People's Court" cases to go down that road.

• Members

It is all personal taste. Play through what makes the tone in your head come out, remember it is just a tool to get you there. I play junk guitars I build myself cuase a store bought one never has what I need. I will say a marshall stack is more immpressive looking than a wall of Crates

• Members

Dial calipers from Harbor Freight work quite well but I've never experienced much more from them that does. BTW.......if you're a hockey fan, a cherry picker could be a guy that camps out on the blue line and waits for the puck in order to get the jump on everyone else. I believe that this created the NHL rule for the 2 line pass. It states that a player can not pass the puck over two lines to a player on his team. If you're not into hockey, this info is absolutely good for nothing. If you are, you probably already knew this little tid bit. ;)

Archived