new Allen & Heath DP1000 Powered Digital Mixer for 850$

• Members

any users?comments?looks like great bang for the buck.

Features:

Ten-inputs

Four-outputs

Four-band parametric EQ

Gates, compressors, and dual stereo effects

Ten-band graphic EQ

Protection limiters and programmable memories

Independent venue memory

Intuitive controls

600W into four ohms

Stereo or mono

Two stereo effects processors and over eighty presets

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040324133112164067221221210191/g=live/s=mixers/search/detail/base_pid/634019/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040324133112164067221221210191/g=live/s=mixers/g=live/s=mixers/search/bigpid/base_id/54977/

• Members

If it's all they say it is, then it's an astounding deal. But I seriously doubt that the quality is all that great, I don't see how they could fit a (quality) amp and digital mixer into a unit that price. And the list is only $1000...

Rebadged? That's powered and digital, and cheaper than a MixWizard??? Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

• Members

OK, I am provoking a bit...

It seems like we all like to yell at Behringer for stealing R&D. Now it's time to take Allen & Heath??? Is it because it's low priced? It must be something wrong with it?

I know, I was looking at the unpowered version, and at the price, read the specs, manual etc.... then looked at the price again.... I thought that A&H was the Mercedez of Mixers? And now they've made a budget digital mixer....hmmmm must be something wrong here.

I haven't found any reviews for it, but I'll do my research for some time now. All reading tells me it will suit my needs perfectly, common sense tells me that if it sounds too good to be true...then it's probably...not?

BTW, it's been around for a while, it says that operating software version 2.1 came in october 1999.

• Members

Originally posted by Bajazz

I thought that A&H was the Mercedez of Mixers? And now they've made a budget digital mixer....hmmmm must be something wrong here.

They ARE the Mercedes of mixers. This really puzzles me. I don't understand how Allen & Heath can do this to us!! :mad:

This is just going to confuse everybody....:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Members

I see something wrong right off the bat. 10 inputs is just not going to be enough. Let's just say you have a 4 pc. band. Pretty common number, right? You have 2 guitars a bass player and a drummer. Three of you guys sing. That leaves 4 channels for drums. What are you going to decide not to mic? It very well may be a good value for some applications but not for most live situations that have 4 or more members in the band. That's just my .02

• Members

Originally posted by Tommy Tune

I see something wrong right off the bat. 10 inputs is just not going to be enough. Let's just say you have a 4 pc. band. Pretty common number, right? You have 2 guitars a bass player and a drummer. Three of you guys sing. That leaves 4 channels for drums. What are you going to decide not to mic? It very well may be a good value for some applications but not for most live situations that have 4 or more members in the band. That's just my .02

The DL1000/DP1000 is for small bands, schools etc... Go to their website and read.

For me it sounds perfect, being a soloact. I don't like to pay for 24 inputs, for me 6 is enough and 10 is flexible. I'd rather put my money in features, such as song/venue memory, para-eq, gates pr channel, comp, dual FX etc....

If you need 20 inputs, don't look at a 10 input mixer...;)

my .02

• Members

For me it sounds perfect, being a soloact. I don't like to pay for 24 inputs, for me 6 is enough and 10 is flexible. I'd rather put my money in features, such as song/venue memory, para-eq, gates pr channel, comp, dual FX etc....

Yes That's what I said. For some applications (like your's) it may be fine. For me, I think I'd be running out of real estate very quickly. Personally, I don't think a 4 pc. band (that's small.....isn't it?) could effective utilize this unless they cut some corners. If you decide to sequence something or add another instrument or your drummer wants a bigger kit or you add a member........you're out of room and out of luck. There's nothing worse than buying a piece of equipment that was nearly $1000 and outgrowing it within a year. Once again, I think that Alllen & Heath makes a great product. But if you are a solo act, you can probably get some gear that can be utilized if you decide to get a band together at a later date AND serve you well as a solo act. Once you outgrow the board, the power amp is no longer any good either since it's internal. Even if the board is too small, at least you don't have to invest in another power amp if you seperate the pieces. For a 3 piece band..........it's probably good. For a speech type application.......great. For a solo act, probably awesome but whenever you buy a powered mixer, you'll gain a little in portability but loose a little in flexability. I'm always trying to look ahead because I've spent enough money on things that I "had to have" but out grew them in no time. I guess that I grew a little wiser after a few years and several thousand squandered bucks.

EDIT: Digital desks are a little harder to navigate in a live environment. Unless you totally know how to get to the individual settings quickly, or you are a set it and forget it type of act, conrol of effects are probably better served individually. I'd prefer to reach over and tweak a dedicated knob rather than to scroll through settings to get what I want.

• Members
If you decide to sequence something or add another instrument or your drummer wants a bigger kit or you add a member........you're out of room and out of luck.

For me, a 2 channel with Tape/CD in would do it. But to be shure I set 6 ch as a minimum, ready for guest mic, another guitar and 2 to spare. A 10 channel should do the trick, don't you think? I don't do backing, ever, and won't ever consider it. My audience would turn their back to me at once if I did. If I ever want to join a band, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to performance, so we would have plenty of time to get gear before we're up to par for gigging.

But if you are a solo act, you can probably get some gear that can be utilized if you decide to get a band together at a later date

Agree if you're planning to join a band in the nearest future. But for me I am always in the process of upgrading, so I feel that upgrading to a band is a matter of exchanging mixer and adding subs. But that won't be a issue for me.

For a solo act, probably awesome but whenever you buy a powered mixer, you'll gain a little in portability but loose a little in flexability.

As I mentioned, I'm looking at the unpowered one.

EDIT: Digital desks are a little harder to navigate in a live environment. Unless you totally know how to get to the individual settings quickly, or you are a set it and forget it type of act, conrol of effects are probably better served individually. I'd prefer to reach over and tweak a dedicated knob rather than to scroll through settings to get what I want.

• Sometimes when I post about my needs for sound reinforcement, it seems that people overlook my specs. When I say simple, I mean simple. There's a acoustic guitar and my voice going out the speakers. That's it. Live sound is more than conserts with thousands of people, a band with horn section, guitars, bass, backing and drums with stacks of speakers, monitors etc... I am not dreaming to be a rock star in neon lights. I live my dream, as a performer at intimate venues, being able to look into people's eyes, and see what emotions I can create.

Archived