First time playing keys-first gig with new band

• Members

I have my first two gigs with this new band this weekend. I'm hoping for some input so I don't run into problems that I can't troubleshoot or issues I can't fix.

I play Keys/ guitar in a 5 piece. We supply our own PA for both gigs (no house sound). Both bars are medium to large (150-200) and our PA can more than handle it. We have a 16 channel Mackie into 2-1000 watt crown heads/ JBL mains and EV subs. We usually set up with two monitors in the front and one in the rear.

My setup will be Triton Le & PK6 into a passive inputs Yamaha MG10 10 channel mixer, I will run two stereo out into the PA, this time using a DI box in between. Even though I may be 15-20 feet from the mixer, why take the chance right? I will also run 1 aux out to a rented JBL EON G2 15 (Gigman, if this setup sounds familar, ... it's b/c I copied it from you verbatim :D ). I will also mic my guitar cabinet (Peavey XXX head and 2x12 cab) into the active inputs of the Yamaha and bleed that into the PA mix alnog with the Keys.

Lastly... any advice on cables, mixers, or other pieces of equipment I may need to assure a relatively stress free night? Regular 1/4' instrument cables are fine to use? The only thing I won't have is a good power conditioner... ugh! I know, I know! How could I gig without one, right? I'm about two weeks away from buying a Furman, it just won't be ready for the gig. For the record I've never had a problem in the past.

Any last words?

• Members

Originally posted by ricklaww

PK 6(emu) is pretty entry level gear for gigs in my HO and a bit noisy.why don't you get a used roalnd xp or controller +rack set up.Triton Le sound ok though keys suck.

Thanks for the advice on the keys... I was hoping for some input on the setup, though.

:(

The EMU wasn't neccesarily my choice. It was more out need. My DW8000 kicked the bucket and I needed a second board for additional sounds when I run out of zones and/or splits on the LE. I was looking for an XP30, but found the PK6 for "Buy It Now" at $280!!! So far I have been less than satisfied. The PK6 is actually a pretty awesome synth (don't be fooled by who it's marketed to... it actually has better filters and editing features than the XP 30). But you are right, it is noisy and it doesn't have the handy on board performance controls the XP30 may have (Octave, Portamento...etc). The only sound I plan on using them for will be piano (which the LE purely sucks on) and some EP and organ sounds. All the brass, pads, strings and things will come out of the LE. I paid $1100 for the LE with the sampler and $280 for the PK6. In all, $1400 for two capable synths is a bargin. If I can find an XP30 for under $500 I might sell the PK6.

Anyway... back to my setup. How does it look? Any problems?

• Members

PK 6(emu) is pretty entry level gear for gigs in my HO and a bit noisy.why don't you get a used roalnd xp or controller +rack set up.Triton Le sound ok though keys suck.

IMO based on synth power, I think the PK-6 runs circles around the Triton LE. But it does have signifigant noise problems. For piano sounds, neither of these boards are great unfortunately.

I think you'll be fine. As long as you have your duct tape and aspirin it will be smooth sailing all the way through. You've got 2 solid boards into a good mixer.

• Members

Originally posted by noisestudios

IMO based on synth power, I think the PK-6 runs circles around the Triton LE.

Everyone who I run into tells me the same thing. I'm not much into synth programming so I haven't yet discovered the real treasure of owning this board. All I know is that the interface is cumbersome, programming not as intuitive as I'd like, and alot is needed before a sound is useable live. As I said, if I can find an XP reasonably priced I'll dump the Emu in a heart beat.

• Members

This one is from the school of hard knocks: Make sure you get a UPS for your keyboard setup. Power sags do terrible things to electronic keyboard. Even if you have to borrow one for you gig, do it! It has saved my ass many times.

Mike

• Members

for 280$ for a new synth it's hard to say no.(though you can get a used DX7 for 250 if you can handle repair).

Do you use sequences?

I also am a Guitarist/kbdist(my old set up was xp50/x3 sometimes xp50/01wfd).

In my HO roland and korg fill for each other.roland -better piano,korg better reed and pads. esply after late 90's models ,they have good 3rd party support and quicker to sell them back.

why don't you run your miked gtr out directly to main board .it'll sound (or mix natural) with main total out though you can't control volume directly.

• Members

Originally posted by Parallex

this is the part where i say how much i'm in love with my (old skool) Roland XP-80:

I'm VERY very much in love with my (old skool) Roland XP-80.

Thanks for listening and caring.
:)

Well it was xp 50(1995) that start it all,then 80,then 30 and 60.

this is what happened it mid 90's.(which I lived and followed up)

after mega success with M1 in 1988, korg was throwing another hits like T series,then with another legend O1w(1991) same time with jv80.Roland had D70(same time with M1 but M1 ofcourse outsold it(M1 out sold more than DX7- 1983's first midi'd FM synth which digitalize and occupied 80's keyboard scene)up to nearly 200,000 units.roland had unpopular but great w-30,great functions but ok sounds early Ds(d 20 with disk drive),famous d-50(again defeted by older dx7) all of them were between mid and late 80's.

in late 91,early92 GM commite(where roland was maj participant/contributer) was formed,roland made quick gm gear production(sound canvas set-to semi pro Jvs-30,35,50 Jw50).

since real rompler pro market was more in korg's hands (while real sampler market was getting hotter with K2000 ),after failure of hard to use jv 1000,roland later introduced JV1080 module which suddenly become the industry std for better piano section and cleaner output than Korgs.

Than in 95 XP 50(1080 sound set like other xps,real time phrase sequencing,direct disk play without loading-the first for a workstation for that time unlike arrangers ,light -9.2 kg while 01w was 14kg)was introduced became the best selling workstation around the world for the year 1996-7) and the rest is....

:cool:

Now the rompler market is back in Korg's hand(after they killed with trinity then triton) and some Yam(after EX and motif) than roland.IT's unfotunate that US companies like ensoniq(now owned by emu's mother co creative labs)and emu are fading.

• Members

Somehow the direction of this thread has changed.... but I don't mind.;)

So someone, anyone, recommend a great performance board. One with decent presets, velocity switching, and onboard controls for ocatve, portamento, layers, splits.

I used to own a Korg N5 which had all of the above. That would sure fit the bill, but I sold it to spring for the Triton. The Triton Le is perfect for what I used it for, but I'd like another board with usable features that I can use. With 61 keys, I'm running out of keys and zones.

Please don't say "sell the Triton and get an 88 key synth". The issues isn't with my primary synth, it's with my alternative.

If you had to choose the following three synths for a performance board, which would you choose and why?

Alesis Q6.1

Roland XP30

EMU Pk6

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Somehow the direction of this thread has changed.... but I don't mind.
;)

If you had to choose the following three synths for a performance board, which would you choose and why?

Alesis Q6.1

Roland XP30

EMU Pk6

xp30(no sequencer-but smart media slot+ to save sounds)(over all you need a new roland board for good piano section and clear out),real time control ,more sounds,light,some sounds identical to fantom,can expend,

( but unlike Korgs which has rewritable progs and combis,roland's user mem is small(128+32 or 64 ) -but you have the smart media for that

alesis romplers(I would stay away from them,so so overall sound,are made in taiwan)

EMU pk6(sound alright,but more like playing non balanced rough samples,looks like a toy)

korg n364/264,N5(korg's late responce to yam cs1x has very short samples even x5 or x5d sounds better)x2/3 or o1w- good,+sequencer but similar sounds with triton le

my choice would be used xps(50,60,80 all have disk drive and sequencer and direct disk play,and RPS-can trigger recorded parts directy without loading)-a killer feature if you need double keyboard lines.

or used k2000(if you can get good sample disks with it) or ensoniq(asr 10 or ts/mr series-great sound-build like a tank but mega heavy)

• Members

xp30(over all you need a new roland borad for good piano section and clear out),real time control ,more sounds,light,some sounds identical to fantom,can expend

alesis romplers(I would stay away from them,so so overall sound,are also made in taiwan)

EMU pk6(sound alright,but more like playing non balanced rough samples,looks like a toy)

korg n364/264 or o1w- good,+sequencer but similar sounds with triton le

my choice would be used xps(50,60,80 all have disk drive and sequencer and direct dick play,and RPS-can trigger recorded parts directy without loading)-a killer feature if you need double keyboard lines.

or used k2000(if you can get good sample disks with it) or ensoniq(asr 10 or ts/mr series-great sound-build like a tank but mega heavy)

Rick... thanks for the balanced review. I hate the way the PK6 looks as well! I'm leaning toward the XP30 more every second!

• Members

DOn't forget a good used dx7(better with E matter installed)'s FM punch will wow the audience since you have a rompler already.

soloing the DX you 'll get the feeling of a lead guitar player(if you know what I mean) unlike the romplers.It has mono out,no efx,16 poly,heavy but having access to 32 sounds(eps,vibes and breath controlled sax etc) by a touch of button and great sounds on net for free.

• Members

Originally posted by grimaila

This one is from the school of hard knocks: Make sure you get a UPS for your keyboard setup. Power sags do terrible things to electronic keyboard. Even if you have to borrow one for you gig, do it! It has saved my ass many times.

Mike

Mike, what brands of keyboards have you had power sag problems with? I gig 150-200 times a year with no UPS and have for years, using mostly Roland and Yamaha boards, and have never had a problem with any of them due to power... in fact, the only problems I've had with any of my modern boards are wear and tear stuff...key contacts, switches and sliders. And I play some pretty funky rooms...a couple are so bad that kick hits dim the lights, but things keep going somehow.

• Members

My bandmate still insists on using his DX7 for gigs along with his CS6X (soon to be replaced by a Triton LE) and other things ...

The DX7 sounds are unbelievebly cheesy on their own but I have to admit they kick

major ass when used in a band context ...

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

Mike, what brands of keyboards have you had power sag problems with? I gig 150-200 times a year with no UPS and have for years, using mostly Roland and Yamaha boards, and have never had a problem with any of them due to power.

Never?

I have a Kurz PC88mx, Kawaii K1, keyboards and Roland Super Jupiter, Alesis QSR, and a Yamaha A4000 modules. I control everything via setups on the PC88mx. The problem is not with the keyboards and modules, but the {censored}ty power in the venues we play. I don't like taking risks. I once captured the line voltage at one of my gigs using a digital storage scope because the lights were dimming when everyone was playing at once. Let me tell you, the power can drop as low as 60VRMS.

Since that time, I have been using a UPS. As I said, it saved my butt at least twice.... Once when the power went out for a few seconds and then came back up.... Another time when there was a power surge that nuked my guitar player ampl. In both cases, no keyboards reset.

I can't believe that you have never had a keyboard reset or amp/mixer mute during a power sag. You must be living right!

Mike

• Members

Nope, never have. I don't know how many times I've been in situations where the whole stage has lost power, but a power conditioner on the keys doesn't help much when the entire PA is down! Maybe someday I'll regret it, but until something happens...to quote Merle Haggard...I'll keep bein' the way I am.:)

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

Nope, never have. I don't know how many times I've been in situations where the whole stage has lost power, but a power conditioner on the keys doesn't help much when the entire PA is down!

For me, it did help.... we lost power for a couple of seconds then it came back up. We were in the middle of a song and no one stoped playing, so when the power came back up I was still playing as if nothing had happened. If I did not have a UPS, my synths would have reset and I would wait about 10 seconds to allow the boards to power up, turn local off on the controller, turn rx 1 off, and select the setup I was playing.

Mike

Archived