• Members

Originally posted by mkanferbex

Has anyone ever used the Boss DR5?

Had one since christmas 1994, sold it recently (didn't have any use for it anymore). Even by todays standards, this one rocks. Only problem is too little internal memory for gigging. Buy a memory card, and you're ready to go.

You don't have to be a musican to use/edit/record, even guitarists can operate it! ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Bajazz

Had one since christmas 1994, sold it recently (didn't have any use for it anymore). Even by todays standards, this one rocks. Only problem is too little internal memory for gigging. Buy a memory card, and you're ready to go.

You don't have to be a musican to use/edit/record, even guitarists can operate it!
;)

I don't think dr-5 has a mem card slot (MEANS you are stuck with internal memory).It has a 4 trak composer(drums,bass+2 synth tracks).

what's your budget?Do you want other inst sounds?

these are the options.

under 350$

cheap zoom and entry boss,alesis sr 16(150$) just entry level drum machines

350$ boss jam station-smart media slot+(can record audio(YES))+preset songs

cons-hard to write,not 100% programmable

500$ yam qy 100(now the hit and best seller)

sm media+32,000 notes mem,fully programable sequencer,auto accomp+gtr or mic input with modelling,can use batt, size of a video casst,plays sMF,you can just down load from net,write it to SM card thru SM reader,pop in and play-re arrange the volume levels ans save and you are set.

cons-gtr efx sucks,eats up batt very early

yam su 700 500$ now

a low end sampler,also low sample mem(4 mb I think),cheap looking hard ware,editing more entry level sequencer ,more like a groove box ,cheap for it's overall functions

yam rm1x (now 700$)

more made for dance,low rom 4 mb,more like a groove machine running a xg synth,not a pro sounding gear

EMU 7 series boxes(eg mp7,px 7)(500 $-700$)

look pro,good real time control,easy seq,more rom than yam,more like a groove box,300'000 note mem

cons-made more for groove box,dance,hop music than gtr music,no media slot(smart or disk drive)thogh you can sys

dump,more real drums and over all better sound than yam

Akai mpc 1000(850$)

welcome to mpc world.this is a new one from akai(younger brother to their already famous MPCs),good sound,trigger pads,16 mb on board mem(i think),large LCD unlike emu,individaul outs,smart med slot

cons-made in china,realtively new,no good user feedbank,bug problem solving etc,

and the list goes on.

• Members

I just recently picked up a DR-5 and am really impressed with the overall sound. Not just drums but some really good instruments. The bass, keys and piano are really good. Storage is a problem for running it a full set. You can get an older Yamaha MIDI Data Filer, I think it's a MP2 for around $80 on ebay and that sould solve the stroage problem for live gigs. I downloaded the DR5Edit program, which is shareware for the evaluation copy and am able to bulk dump the DR5 internal memory to my PC. Some of the full band sounds I am getting on the DR5 are amazing. It's alot more than just a drum machine. There is a learning curve here, you have to really read the manual. I'm just starting to find out what the DR5 can do.

• Members

Originally posted by mkanferbex

With the Yamaha qy100, is the drum set fully programmable, or does it instead combine preset "patterns?" Thanks alot guys.

-Malachi

yes they are fully programmale.you can either create your own style or edit preset style or sequence 16 tracks.and save it to smart media.

Archived