Distortion from direct out on bass amp

• Members

Here's one for you sound guys from a bass player that couldn't get a definitive answer over at HCBF. I run my Ampeg SVT350H bass head direct to the board from the XLR direct out on the back. However the sound is distorted no matter what bass or cable I use. I heard that if the phantom power is unintentionally turned on for this channel that it could/would distort the sound. Is this correct?

• Members

Originally posted by no-logic

Here's one for you sound guys from a bass player that couldn't get a definitive answer over at HCBF. I run my Ampeg SVT350H bass head direct to the board from the XLR direct out on the back. However the sound is distorted no matter what bass or cable I use. I heard that if the phantom power is unintentionally turned on for this channel that it could/would distort the sound. Is this correct?

I think it was ashivraj who said that he had that problem w/ a keyboard. If you don't need phantom power, turn it off. If you do need it, use a DI (which may be a good idea anyways).

-Dan.

• Members

yep, 'twas me indeed :)

a lot of bass amps are not protected against phantom power. it is one of the banes of agedhorse's existence.

so yea, sounds like your amp isn't protected. you're best off using a separate external DI.

hope this helps!

AS

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

That's the first thing I would check!

What kind of mixer is it? It's possible that the output level is very high, overdriving the input?

good point. the on-board DI might be putting out a post line-level signal, and the XLR input on the board is hoping to see mic-level.

AS

Archived