Use EQ as a crossover?

• Members

Originally posted by DannyCostello

will this work?

I'm doing an outdoor show Saturday, and someone's bringing subs but they don't have a crossover(idiots?) so I thought I might try sending out of two other outputs and cutting everything that the subs don't wanna handle.

Any thoughts?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The highs won't do a thing to subs? It's just the lows that will muddy up the mid / high speakers??

• Members
Originally posted by DannyCostello

will this work?

I'm doing an outdoor show Saturday, and someone's bringing subs but they don't have a crossover(idiots?) so I thought I might try sending out of two other outputs and cutting everything that the subs don't wanna handle.

Any thoughts?

Its better than just running everything fullrange. Do you have two separate EQ's available? You could put one on the subs and cut everything from about 90hz and up. And then cut everything from about 100hz and down on the mid-high amp. Or,some EQ's have variable low cut filters. If one of them has that and you can set it as high as about 100hz,use that. Far from ideal,but it is something.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Its better than just running everything fullrange. Do you have two separate EQ's available? You could put one on the subs and cut everything from about 90hz and up. And then cut everything from about 100hz and down on the mid-high amp. Or,some EQ's have variable low cut filters. If one of them has that and you can set it as high as about 100hz,use that. Far from ideal,but it is something.

I've seen this done at my college by the locally hired sound company on the school's Yamaha system, sounded pretty good. But they only did this as a last resort and brought a dbx crossover the next week.

• Members

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

you might get away with sending highs to the subs, but using an EQ to pull out lows will not pull out the lows! it causes a nasty comb filtering effect, sending spiky lows to the mid-highs - which they probably can't handle...

AS

• Members

Using Eq's as a crossover will work but it is crude.

You will get a comb filtering effect as mentioned but depending on the TYPE of EQ (parametric vs Graphic etc) this effect will be moderate at lower volumes.

Go to Partsexpress.com and look at what they have for passive EQ or if you want to save your reputation (and give the dickheads a decent sound ) go to the local Sam Ash or Guitar center and pick up a Behringer 3400 for about $120.00 + the support IRAQ fund (otherwise known as sales tax).

If you are doing some shows or trying to establish yourself this will easily pay for itself in a show or 2.

Also you might charge the band an additional rental fee of 30% of the cost of the crossover (typical music store cost) since they OOOPS ed the thing to begin with.

All else fails, buy the thing anyway and for spite give the lead singer or guitarist' girlfriends some GHB (or both if they're goodlooking)and get them to give you a blow job. Won't pay for the crossover but it will be month's before they (singer, guitarist) find out and you'll go home with a big {censored} eatin' grin on yer face. he he he

CJ

Peace

• Members

Well thanks for all the help.

My RANE ME 60 2-channel has a low cut, variable from 10 to 250.

But the dumb guys didn't realize what they had. They ended up bringing a pair of Kustom PA's smaller than my Yamaha s115's.

I ended up jumpering my QSC's, so I could input one main channel into each amp 325W, and set different gains for the Kustoms (200W) and Yamahas (500W)

Good thing I had two identical QSC's...

Very interesting capabilities...jumpering the inputs...

Sooner or later, I will just get some subs and a crossover.

I have learned the value of having a lot of equipment to choose from.

Archived