wireless location

• Members

well i was just wondering where eactly the reciever on a wireless syetem should go? should it be next to the board or at the stage? i have two situations and you let me know.

1)foh is about 30ft from the board. using a eavey snake. do i put the reciever on the stage by the snake or do i put it next to the board?

2)foh is about 100ft from the board. using a medusa snake. once again, do i put th reciever by the board or snake end?

and by the way these are reall life situations for me. i'm just curious. thanx for the replies. and should it always be at one or the other(the reciever?) at the stage or t the board. i've seen people do both so i am really not sure of what to do. thanks for replying

p.s.-i don't know if this is clear. it's like 12:30am and i'm half asleep. if it's not i'll clear it up tomorrow after school. later

• Members

Well, usually with large setups the wireless racks are on stage. This is the best way to go, signal wise, because there is obviously a shorter distance between transmitter and receiver. It also makes it easier to get the wireless to the monitors if they're right next to the monitor board. The other thing is that there is someone near the racks who can visually monitor them, and change stuff if necessary. For you, who's only using one unit (I think), without a seperate monitor board (again, just a guess), it might work just as well to have it by the board. Even a 100' distance isn't really a big deal for a decent unit, and since the transmitter will be pretty much visible the whole time, you shouldn't have too many problems. Having it next to the board will also allow you to visually monitor it during the show, and that'll make it easier to find a problem when one occurs.

You should be able to work with it either way, but my preferance, in a situation like yours, is to have the receiver next to the board.

• Members

the unit is the http://www.electrovoice.com/Electrovoice/products.nsf/allpages/937B84C17B940EBE86256B96005D42AD nru system and yes there is one of those. we have a 4 toa wireless systems but that's already setup. no we do not have a seperate monitor board. and we don't have anyoe at the board. i try my best before the show to set it up and other than that nobody is back there. actually that's not even the back. it's like a 600 seat sanctuary so the board location is more like in the middle of the sanctuary. by the way(adams), i just got the eq like 2 minutes ago. opened it. everything's fine. thanx alot! i'll connect it on sunday and let you know how it sounds. also. the kb player really wants a better quality sound coming from the monitors and out of the foh. here's our setup. only thing at the sound control area is the ramsa wr-s4424 (i believe that's the mdel #) board and the cd and deck. using a 150ft whirlwind medusa 32ch 10sen snake. stage is 100ft away. at the end of the snake we have a crest ca6 on sends "a&b" powering a pair of ev eliminator i 15" doubles with a horn. one per channel. send "c" goes to a ross systems(can't remember model #) 31 band eq which goes into channel "a" of a bridged ce1000 which powers 2 ramsa wr-s215 mains whch we use for monitors. (15", 12" and no horn) we also have 21 mics, 5 of which are wireless(1 ev and 4 toa) there is also an assisted hearing thingy connected to the system. i have no clue how that's connected?? ad now we have a dbx 231 eq for the foh thanks to you(b. adams). so he wants something that's gonna allow our system to sound better. especially the monitors. i told the guy the first thing we need to do is get horn loaded monitors that point to their heads and not their knees. and he complains that we have too much lows coming out of the monitors. duh. what do you expect. i think the speakers are subwoofers. who knows? anyway. what can we do to improve th sound in this large sanctuary? limiters? gates? processors? compressors? thanx for the replies

• Members

I would be cautious (very cautious) about bridging a CE-1000 into that load. I'll bet that's a 4 ohm cabinet (each), and the 12" may be a co-axial with the horn within the center of the 12" driver.

The CE series does not like 2 ohm bridged loads.

• Members

thanx agedhorse. i didn't think it was a good idea but the other fella there insisted to save a send on the snake which we have plenty of. so i want to seperate monitor mixes. send c&d on the snake, aux 1&2 on the board. problem is i only have a single 31 band eq for the mnitors. should i just take it out of the chain or do i ony have eq on one side? what do you suggest? thanks for the replies guys

p.s.- the cab is an 8ohm 400watt cab. two f them. model nimber is somewhere above. i was gonna write it here but esit post option doesn't allow you to see past posts. oh well. thanx though

• Members

You'd be better off giving the amp parallel inputs than bridging it to two speakers. If it has a parallel input switch (which is sometimes called mono - but don't get it confused with a bridging switch), that makes it easy. You just plug a cable into one side, and it comes out both sides. If the amp doesn't have a parallel switch, you can just use a jumper from one input to the other.

If there's no reason to bridge an amp, why do it? You're probably getting a little less power per speaker by bridging anyway.

• Members

well the ce1000 doesn't have a mono or parallel switch and i have used it. it's actually kinda convinient if you asm me. 1 send instead of 2 and you still get the sme output. kinda cool. unless you have a different mix for each side, anyway. about the jumper. i can just put a trs cable from 1/4'' input on ch. a to the 1/4" input on channel b? doesn't that harm the amp? anyway. thanx. please answert that last question. it'll really help me with a question i have thanx

• Members

In general, you can use the XLR input and use a 1/4" jumper to parallel the inputs. This isn't good for all amps, just most, but I'm pretty sure it's OK with yours. It's usually only with really crappy amps that can't do that. If you have barrier strip inputs you could use jumpers on those instead of 1/4" if you wanted to. You can also use a Y-cable to split it to each input if you like, but that may be a bit more hassle than it's worth in your case.

• Members

Just cause you can leave the 1/4" jumper in all the time, but you'd probably have to take out both sides of the Y-cable. But you've probably got a lot more regular 1/4" TRS cables laying around than TRS Y-cables. And it's easier to make a jumper than a Y-cable, that's just a given. Just my theory though.

Archived