How should I set all this stuff up??

• Members

We're playing a smallish bar that we need to bring our own sound too.

My band is buying a set of JBL 15 inch mains, and a Picoverb reverb which means our gear list is now:

Mackie CR1604 mixer

Peavey 200 W powered mixer (6channel)

Crown XLS602 power amp (375W at 8 ohms stereo, 600W at 4 ohm stereo)

2 yorkville 15 inch speakers (rated at 150W)

2 JBL SF15 inch speakers (Rated at 250W)

Peavey Q 215FX EQ

Picoverb Reverb unit

So my question is, how should I set it all up. The main question is should I use the Peavey powered mixer to power my monitors (the Yorkvilles), or just use one half of the crown power amp, and run both my mains, and my monitors in Mono? I plan on running the reverb from the aux send then back into a spare channel. Right? Is that Picoverb any good? The Sam Ash guy recommended it. Any other tips?

Thanks,

Dugan

• Members

I would be tempted to use half of the power amp for FOH, and use the other half for one monitor, and the Peavey for the other monitor. I'd probably use the EQ on each of those monitor sends. If it's not important for you to have 2 independent monitor mixes, I'd not use the Peavey at all, then you could use one channel of the EQ on FOH.

You're better off running the FOH in mono anyway, even if you're using both sides of the power amp for it. Stereo FOH is kind of silly, IMO.

That would be the best way to use the FX unit. I can't comment on that unit, but I will say that I wouldn't necessarily trust a Sam Ash guy.

Be careful that you're not overpowering your speakers with this amp. I can see you blowing those monitors pretty easily if you're not careful, and the JBL's could be in danger too if you're not conscious of what you're doing.

Eventually, look at getting 31 band EQ's and enough amps to do what you want. Then you can start upgrading what you've got.

• Members

Originally posted by B. Adams

I would be tempted to use half of the power amp for FOH, and use the other half for one monitor, and the Peavey for the other monitor. I'd probably use the EQ on each of those monitor sends. If it's not important for you to have 2 independent monitor mixes, I'd not use the Peavey at all, then you could use one channel of the EQ on FOH.

You're better off running the FOH in mono anyway, even if you're using both sides of the power amp for it. Stereo FOH is kind of silly, IMO.

That would be the best way to use the FX unit. I can't comment on that unit, but I will say that I wouldn't necessarily trust a Sam Ash guy.

Be careful that you're not overpowering your speakers with this amp. I can see you blowing those monitors pretty easily if you're not careful, and the JBL's could be in danger too if you're not conscious of what you're doing.

Eventually, look at getting 31 band EQ's and enough amps to do what you want. Then you can start upgrading what you've got.

Is the 15 band EQ really inadequate for small shows?

We'll only be running vocals and kick drum through the amp and possibly some very small bass reinforcement. I'll keep the filter on to keep low freq out, and try and be gentle with the speakers.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by catphish

Is the 15 band EQ really inadequate for small shows?

We'll only be running vocals and kick drum through the amp and possibly some very small bass reinforcement. I'll keep the filter on to keep low freq out, and try and be gentle with the speakers.

It's more than adequate to start you out, and certainly is easier to learn how to ring out a system. Your experience and the rooms you work will dictate whether or not the 15- is good enough. One of the sad facts of life is that the better your overall system. the less EQ you need, because a flat response needs no EQ other than compensating for room variances. Less expensive speakers tend to have more spikey peaks, which are what cause most GBF problems.

Try to keep the EQ to no more than 3-6dB above or below the line. Anything more will usuually compromise your sound more than help your feedback issues.

Ring out the monitors first.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by catphish

Okay, if you tell me how.
:D
I have no idea what that means, but I've heard the phrase a lot here.

Oh, this means that you set up your EQ for maximum gain before feedback (GBF, another common term....it means get as loud as you can get before things start a-howlin') by setting the EQ flat, and slowly raising the master gain until the system just starts to "feel" unstable....you can hear feedback "ringing" ever so slightly of it's at a higher frequency. You do this, then guess which EQ fader to lower in order to stop that frequency from feeding back. Yes, this is the part where you gain experience as you go. With only a little practice you will become familiar with which slider to drop.

Any way, you do this gradually. Drop the offending fader 3db, and raise the gain again. Usually another frequency will start to "ring" and you lower that fader 3dB. While theoretically you could keep on going, in general you don't want to use more than a few faders, and no more than 6db. This is because graphic EQ's have a nasty tendency to shift phase on frequencies that are drastically cut or boosted, with ugly effects on your tone.

• Members
Originally posted by Craigv

With only a little practice you will become familiar with which slider to drop.

No time for that, my EQ has FLS. ;) I kind of planned on doing this procedure anyway. I didn't know it was called Ringing it out though.Thanks Craig.

• Members

Originally posted by rcdemoral

Good times. Those things are built solid....

That's what I hear. Even the pro audio guy I spoke with, even though they don't carry yorkville, said he uses all yorkville stuff. Maybe I'll just save up and wait. I found someone to borrow speakers from for the time being.

Archived